Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Its been 5 days i woke up with swollen side gums. After some…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi doctor...

Second opinion] Hi doctor its been 5 days i woke up with swollen side gums. After some time like in the afternoon n evening the pain and swelling is less. But again the morning it becomes painful and swelling in the side gums. Read internet they say it can be cancer?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Its been 5 to 6 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Nothing i just had one cavity that too had been taken care of long time back

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2017
Dentist: Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello, I'm Dr. Dorian, I'm reviewing your question now, I'll be back in a moment!

It sounds like you're very worried! I hope I can put your mind at ease. I very much doubt that this is anything cancerous. However, if you could possibly send a photo, that would be helpful.

My first thought is that you might have a draining abscess from a tooth (that will cause swelling in gums). When is the last time you have seen a dentist? If you push on the swollen area does it drain?

I just want to let you know that I may not be available again until I get to the office around 9 am Mountain Time. (unless I hear back very soon!)

Between now and then, a couple more questions:

For some reason, I am not seeing your demographic information - gender and age. (that does have implications with diagnoses) Please advise! :)

And, what is your assessment of your dental health (to the best of your knowledge) - excellent, good, fair, poor.