Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a temporary crown placed and it is bleeding around the…

Customer Question
Hi I had a...

Hi I had a temporary crown placed and it is bleeding around the gum margin is this normal?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

I went today to check it out they said it was ok but I am not sure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
9/23/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Many times when crowns are prepared ,some of the gum tissue is removed in the process to establish a finish line below the gumline. This is a common practice and will assure a good finish line on the permanent crown that will be hidden beneath the gumline. It is really nothing to worry about.It could be that the temporary was not trimmed adequately or that there may be some cement under the gumline. How long ago was the temporary crown placed? Did the tooth have a large filling in it prior to being prepared to be crowned?

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine