Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I hope you might help me. My regular dentist and a dentist…

Customer Question
Hi I hope you...

Hi I hope you might help me. My regular dentist and a dentist specializing in extraction/implants have told me I have resorption in the root of one of my molars. It's tender, red & receding gum, was infected & I took antibiotics for that. I've been told either root canal or extract/implant. but first I want to know if it's external absorption or internal. One dentist said it was a big hole in my root. The other showed me a radiography & said he thought it was external, and recommended root canal (2 steps w/ titanium post put inside root in second step). I'm wondering how to know he's right about it being external, and if the hole is big, will it just keep absorbing after the root canalL? Am already thinking might need another opinion. Am 68 & want to avoid extraction; also ideally to avoid making wrong choice.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

A couple of months that I know if... have seen the X-ray and it is some kind of definite resorption. (I spelled it wrong in first detailed note here).

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

It's very tender & sometimes bleeds when I brush it. To answer your question: have mild heart condition.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dental
9/20/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 10 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, you ask a very good question!

External resorption is diagnosed by looking at an X-ray and seeing resorption that has destroyed the periodontal ligament surrounding the tooth whereas internal resorption is seen as a black area on the X-ray that appears to inside the actual tooth in the root or the pulp chamber of the tooth. Without seeing an X-ray I cannot tell you for sure.

If you have access to the X-ray I would be happy to comment after seeing it.

What I would suggest is that you see an Endodontist (like myself) who can diagnose the resorption and give you an idea of whether it is worth your time and money to try to save it. I would simply ask either your dentist or your Oral Surgeon for a referral to an Endodontist and then you will know for sure what your chances of success would be in doing a root canal.

Your heart condition will not affect having a root canal or its success so please do not worry about that aspect.

Does this make sense to you?