Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Do I need to pull my front teeth if I have 4 front teeth

with abscesses I am 75...
Do I need to pull my front teeth if I have 4 front teeth with abscesses I am 75 and occasionally get dizzy. Can I try a arestin first?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good evening! I'm sorry to hear you have abscesses in your front teeth. Do you know if the abscesses are coming from the gum tissue around the tooth (a periodontal infection) or if it is coming from inside the teeth (from a cavity or a dead nerve)?

Are the teeth loose?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

I believe it is coming from the gum tissue around the bottom of the teeth

Do the teeth feel loose to you?

Dr. Lara

No

What do you feel or see around these teeth that tells you they are abscessed? Is there pus? Bleeding? A lot of plaque buildup?

Dr. Lara

It showed up on a Ct scan that showed black spots on the inside of the gum

When and where did you have the CT scan done?

In answer to your question, no, abscessed teeth do not always have to be extracted. I'd like to find out a little more so I can give you better advice about what treatment options you do have.

Dr. Lara

Today at a Miami dentist

Okay. So the first step is determining where the abscess is coming from. If it is coming from the gums around the teeth, they will require periodontal treatment, maybe by a gum specialist called a periodontist. If the abscess is coming from an infection inside a tooth, the infected teeth will require root canal treatment.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Hmmn do abscessed teeth generally cause dizziness?
Here's a photo shot if that helps
Sorry here's a good shot

Yes, teeth infections can sometimes cause dizziness. There is some nerve communication between the nerve that supplies sensation to the lower teeth, jawbone, and gums and the nerve that provides sensation to your ear. It's not a common side effect, but it is definitely a possibility.

Dr. Lara

Thank you for that picture. I can see the swelling and redness in your gums. Do you have crowns on your lower teeth?

Dr. Lara

No crowns on those front lower teeth
no to root canal?

I can't tell you for sure without looking at x-rays of those teeth. Did the dentist recommend any treatment for this area?

Dr. Lara

Pulling of teeth and implants $30k

If you would like a second opinion to see whether or not the teeth can be saved, you could go see a gum specialist for evaluation.

Also, if the teeth do have a hopeless prognosis, and they need to be extracted, implants are not your only treatment option. They are the best option, but they are also the most expensive option.

There are some removable partial dentures that you can wear for a less expensive option.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)