Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a similar question to a question asked a year ago "I…

I have a similar...

I have a similar question to a question asked a year ago "I noticed that bone or tissue on the left side of my palate is more raised.' however im case it's the right side and there is actucally a very clearly felt bony ridge it feels like it is part the maxilla bone and continues on just posterior to the end of my gum and hard palate on the right side. Should I be worries?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

Last visit about 12 months ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

No not really

9/19/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If the skin over this bony area is pink and firm like the rest of your gum tissue,there is nothing to worry about. The Maxilla ,like the mandible has many variations of boney structures that are normal. If there are no ulcerations or swelling and the area is firm like bone,you have nothing to worry about.

If you could upload a picture of the area in question,I can be more specific about what you are feeling.

Thank you for your reply. Yes the skin is firm and no ulcerations. Do you think this is just a variation I was born with rather then a torus? Will try and get a photo.

A torus is a boney variation and is considered normal.There are many forms shapes and sizes of tori and they are benign and need no treatment. Without seeing the area myself,I cannot be specific with a diagnosis but it does not seem that there is anything to worry about.

Thank you. It's difficult to get a photo and but to feel it ,it is very prominate.Here is a photo I am not sure if yo can make it out but right of the image you can see the right side does protrude more.

There is nothing abnormal in this picture. That is just a normal variation of the bone. It is not a torus.

Ok thanks. So its just a bone that has formed or grew differently on one side then the other?

There is nothing symmetrical in the human body. The gum around the area in question just looks a little thicker but there does not seem to be any boney abnormality.

The picture is not very clear but it looks like you may be referring to the area near the palatal side of the upper molars.There is some recession here and that is mostly due to excessive toothbrushing but there is nothing in this picture that would cause any concern.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)