Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My mom was diagnosed with periodontal disease. In 2 places

My mom was diagnosed with...
My mom was diagnosed with periodontal disease. In 2 places in her mouth. She is 82. Doctor is pressuring her to do a laser procedure right away. She has no bleeding or discomfort. She wants to wait until January so she can use her insurance. Cost is $8000. Can she wait until January safely?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: About 1 month.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: Mom has high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
9/18/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I think this case takes the cake for the most ridiculous thing that a dentist has ever told a patient. Clearly this dentist is interested in nothing more than taking as much money from you and your mother as he thinks that he can get away with. I would urge you in the first place to report this dentist to your local dental board and in the second place find a new dentist.There is absolutely no evidence that using a laser gives any better results than basic teeth scaling and scaling even in one full quadrant of her mouth should cost less than $200. This dentist is just trying to rip you off. If you have copies of her xrays,I would be glad to look at them for you. Steer clear of this thief.Waiting until January is really not a big deal.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Wow so she is safe waiting and should get a second opinion. We have another appointment scheduled with another periodontal doctor in November. But she was getting pressure to come in for the appointment now. They already did xrays for her too. I am going to advise her to wait and go for the second opinion before doing anything.
Her regular dentist sent her to this periodontal dentist. A specialist. My mom does have crowns and bridges.

I would absolutely get a second opinion. They can email the xrays to you in a matter of minutes.Waiting for a couple of months to get some scaling done is really not going to make that much difference. Again,if you could get the xrays,I could give you a better idea of what she has going on. Even if her entire mouth needed scaling,it would not cost anywhere near $8000 laser or no laser.

Thank you so much. I found another periodontist and have made an appt with him. Appreciate it as do my parents.

Please let me know the outcome.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)