Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Cracked top of lower right premolar a few months ago and it…

Customer Question
Cracked top of lower...

Cracked top of lower right premolar a few months ago and it got infected, 250 mg Cephalexin didn't help, what to do?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

No regular checkups haven't seen a dentist since I took the kids there

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Pretty health just done 6,800 km on my bike commuting in 1 year

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
9/15/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Cephalexin or any other antibiotic will not cure a tooth infection. If a tooth is infected antibiotics can only keep the infection from spreading temporarily. There are two choices when a tooth is infected: root canal therapy or extraction. The antibiotic of choice for keeping the infection under control is penicillin 500 mg every six hours but again this is temporary.Cephalexin 250 mg is too low of a dose to do much even if taken for a week.Rinsing with strong salt water or diluted peroxide 1:1 can help keep the area clear but you will need to see a dentist for treatment. This is not something that you can cure at home.

Thanks Dr Katz, I have private dental cover, I'll look for a good dental surgeon in Brisbane, Australia, it was good to have your expert opinion, Robert.

You are quite welcome. I hope that the pain is not too bad.

When you get a chance,please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Please leave a rating. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)