Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

How you know the enamel gets damaged do you feel it?

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dental
9/15/2017
Dentist: Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 9 months ago
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Well, enamel can be damaged in multiple ways, so it all depends. An acute fracture, running all the way through the enamel into dentin, can present with a sharp pain followed by sensitivity, whether the fractured piece is broken off or merely hanging. A chronic fracture, slowly working its way through the enamel, might have no symptoms at all. Enamel damage due to acid, or erosion, might have sensitivity once it reaches the level of the dentin. Same for abrasion, the act of wearing through the enamel mechanically. More info is a help, or pictures, if this info is unclear. Thanks!

I added a picture and they took x-rays.

Thanks for the pictures. From these pictures, the only concern I see is a history of grinding leading to some attrition of the enamel, maybe some possible chipping. Have you been diagnosed as a grinder? do you have a bruxing guard to wear at night?

No i haven't the dentist said everything is fine
is it true what my dentist is telling me
Didnt it went through
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 9 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good afternoon! It looks like Dr. Kremser gave you some details. Did you have any further questions for a dental expert? If so, I'd be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara