Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have just discovered a strange polyp under my tongue. It…

Customer Question
I have just discovered...

I have just discovered a strange polyp under my tongue. It is dark red and filled with blood. Is this some sort of a bruise?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

My health has been fine. Not much sleep the last couple of days. My 8-yr old has had a stomach bug so I haven't gotten a full night of sleep for 2 days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Dentist: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

How long do you think this has been there? Does it hurt, or is it tender to touch?

It showed up some time today. I noticed it while eating dinner. It does not hurt or ache, but my tongue is sore. It is loose like a skin tag, but is filled with blood.
When you look at the mouth with the tongue raised, there is the taut ridge that runs vertical and another ridge the runs horizontal mirroring the teeth. The tag/polyp is along the lower ridge of skin.

It might be a mucocele. They are benign, mucus-containing cystic lesions of tiny salivary glands in the mouth. They are typically clear or bluish. In some cases, a small blood vessel within them can burst and fill the cyst with bloody material. These are not dangerous but can take weeks to resolve, particularly if they are irritated by the teeth, the tongue, food particles, a toothbrush, etc. If you are in good health otherwise, you do not need to worry about a mucocele. If it enlarges or bleeds, have it examined by your doctor or dentist as soon as possible.

Thanks! That makes me feel better.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best.

Hello. Do you have any follow up questions for me?

Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further.

Dentist: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 10 months ago

If you have no more questions, please don't forget to provide a positive rating.

This is the only way physicians on this site get credit for the time we spend helping patients.

Thanks.

Doctor-Bob