Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have found a large hard lump in the bottom of my mouth on…

Customer Question
I have found a...

I have found a large hard lump in the bottom of my mouth on my gum toward the back. I was just doing some research to see the next steps I should take.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

This is really the first time I have noticed it which is surprising considering how large it is. No swelling anywhere else and no tooth pain at all.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Not that would stick out much. I don't smoke, and never have. I don't drink more than a couple drinks every month or so (not for any particular reason I am just not a big drinker). I brush regularly ect.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
9/14/2017
Dentist: Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi... Any chance you feel that you could attach a picture?

Most likely, this is a perfectly normal enlargement of bone present in 20-25% of the population called an exostosis or lingual tori. It causes no pathology and is simply an area of increased bone, one that grows slowly over time.

a hard, bony mass that isn't able to be moved by palpation is normally this. Again, a picture would help immensely to confirm this

That was the best I could zoom into it. I guess it's actually near the front. I had originally said the back. My mistake.

A little fuzzy there but that is the prime area where we see this lingual torus, tori if they are on both sides. Less likely to occur unilaterally but it is possible. No sign of a bony mass on other side, even if smaller? A pic not quite as zoomed but higher resolution would help.

Now that I look in the mirror it seems there is one forming one the opposite side as well.

it has most likely been there for a while; it's surprising how frequently patients will say it "appeared" but it existed previously. A bilateral bony mass in this area is lingual tori, very common, nothing to worry about. Have dentist confirm this at next 6-month checkup. Really nothing to worry about!

Hope this cleared everything up and set your mind at ease!

Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser