Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had a root canal done 2 days ago because the toothe was

accessed. Beginning the next...
I had a root canal done 2 days ago because the toothe was accessed. Beginning the next day and today, I am in a lot of pain. My dentist said that the infection I had in there really got stirred up again (I had been on Augmentin for 2 weeks). I am back on Augmentin, taking 600 mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day and going to start on Prednisone. As soon as the ibuprofen begins to wear off, the pain is horrible. We are supposed to leave for Europe on Friday. Should I fly with my tooth in this condition?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: For 2 days ..... right after the root canal. It didn't really hurt that much - only my cheek - before the root canal. Now Imcan hardly touch the tooth or even eat an egg!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: No
9/14/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good evening! I'm sorry you're having so much pain. Which tooth had the root canal? You are more likely to have problems flying with an upper tooth than a lower tooth.

The good news is that you will have 2 days at least of steroid in your system, which really speeds up the healing process.

Are you taking anything besides Ibuprofen 600mg for pain?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

It is the upper right molar....I think the 2nd from the back. I have Oxycodone, but I really don't want to take it. I am mostly worried about the infection getting worse if I fly.

The infection itself will not worsen with flying. The antibiotics typically take a few days to really kick in. One thing that could benefit you is calling the dentist who performed the root canal and asking for a prescription for a different antibiotic in the event that the Augmentin does not kick in by the time you leave on your trip. You should have another option available to you while you travel. Does that make sense?

Antibiotics kill specific bacteria, so it is sometimes necessary to take more than one antibiotic for a really bad infection.

This does not mean that you cannot go on your vacation. I just want to give you as much information as possible so that you'll be in better shape for your trip.

I also recommend altering your pain pills. If you do not feel comfortable taking the prescribed Oxycodone, you should be taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. If you have a prescription for ibuprofen 600mg, you will want to get some over=the-counter ibuprofen/Motrin and take 4 of the 200mg tablets. That is a different prescription dosage that we often use in dentistry.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

I also have Amoxicillin, but my dentist said that is not as good as Augmentin. What would you recommend? Thank you very much.

He is right. Augmentin is a much stronger antibiotic, so it's better to take that one now. ITake the Amoxicillin with you on your trip, and if your pain has not subsided, begin taking it. I'm hoping that you are just dealing with normal post-op pain from the procedure. I know it is concerning since you are about to go on vacation. I think you will notice a difference if you alter the ibuprofen dosage and take it on a timed schedule of every 6 hours. You can alternate it with two extra-strength Tylenol at three hours in between the 6 hour doses. Does that make sense?

For example: Noon - 800mg Ibuprofen

3pm - 2 extra strength Tylenol

6 pm - 800mg ibuprofen

9pm - either 2 extra strength Tylenol or one of your prescribed pain pills.

Because Oxycodone is so strong, I would only recommend taking it at bedtime.

What other questions can I answer for you?

Dr. Lara

Thank you. I will follow your time line. My main concern is the infection. He said there is still a lot of infection that got "stirred up!" I will be gone 2 weeks and am afraid that it could spread. Should that be a concern? I have enough Augmentin for 20 days!

The infection should not be able to worsen. He is correct in that the procedure does aggravate things and "stir up" an infection. However, the procedure also removed the source of the infection (from inside the tooth), and now your body's defenses in combination with the antibiotics should be able to kill everything else. Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

thank you very much. He did say that if the infection doesn't go away that I would have to have surgery to remove the infection from the top of the gym or tooth. That is what I hope I hope to avoid by using the antibiotics.

Yes, that would be a procedure called an apicoectomy. You will not know if you need one of those for quite a while. It's impossible to make that determination this early in the game. Give yourself a few weeks for your body to take back over, manage your pain as best you can, and have fun on your vacation!

Any other questions for me? If not, you can accept this answer. If you do have more, fire away!

Dr. Lara

Thank you very much.

You're welcome! I am happy to help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)