Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a cracked upper side molar with a metal filling

exposed. Basically the front side...
I have a cracked upper side molar with a metal filling exposed. Basically the front side of the tooth fell out after I ate a slice of pizza. I'm not in pain but is it alright to leave exposed until my dentist appointment on Monday?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No swelling. My last visit was in May. These filings are about 20 years old
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: The tooth cracked down the middle. The front side of the teeth is in my hand. The lingual side of the tooth is still intact. The metal filling is not damaged, so I think No pain
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good afternoon! Thank you for giving me those details. Do you think you could send me a photo of the fragment that fell out and possibly even one of the tooth that shows where it is cracked? That will enable me to better advise you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

It is a good sign that the tooth is not causing you any pain, and I'm glad to hear you already have an appointment set for Monday. It is likely that you'll be okay to wait until then. I just want to confirm:

Do you have any swelling in the gums anywhere near this tooth?

Is there any pain when you eat or drink?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

I can
Here's the other one

Okay, it looks as if the fracture did not extend under the gums, from what I can see of the fragment in your hand.

What is your dental appointment for on Monday? Is it to address this tooth? If not, you may want to call ahead so they can be prepared to address this tooth. Most likely, in order to restore it to normal function, it will need to be covered with a crown. Are you familiar with dental crowns?

Dr. Lara

That photo is perfect t to show the extent of the fracture. That confirms what I said in my previous response.

What questions do you have for me about the treatment or prognosis of this tooth? Any?

Dr. Lara

It's to address this tooth. I'm very familiar with crowns. I had a pregnancy that I suffered hyper emesis gravidarum which resulted in a picc line as well. So all my teeth issues I think result from the stomach acid erosion. Last time I went to the dentist was in May for a crown. This just happened 15 min ago.l while eating. I took a sip of water and I didn't feel discomfort.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry you had such a hard pregnancy. All that stomach acid can just wreck your teeth. If you are having no sensitivity at all, you are definitely fine to wait until Monday. Make sure to keep it cleaned out as well as you can. Don't let any food debris linger there.

Any other questions for me?

Dr. Lara

I already had a feeling a crown was going to be the end result. Will they need to do a root canal? Am I OK to wait until Monday? Can I brush my teeth still on the side?
Can I put temporary dental cement to place the front tooth back or is that a bad call to do?

No, you do not necessarily need a root canal. I cannot see any nerve exposure, and your lack of symptoms points to a healthy, normal nerve inside the tooth. It would be smart to ask the dentist to test it just to be sure. You are definitely okay to wait until Monday. Yes, you can and should brush in that area to keep it as clean as possible. Make sure you're using a soft bristled toothbrush and not something really abrasive.

Yes, you can put a temporary covering over it. It will not cause any harm. However, most of my patients tell me that it does not stay on for very long and becomes more of a nuisance. It is not necessary to cover it. Most people do that when the exposed tooth structure is really sensitive to temperatures.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

I think so. Thank you for your help

You're welcome! I'm happy to be able to help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Dr. Lara

if the metal filling is intAct, I should be OK then

Yes. The metal filling will probably be removed by your dentist when he or she works on the tooth Monday. Until then, it is good for it to remain intact. Often those old metal fillings are stronger than the tooth itself.

Dr. Lara

Apparently so. I really appreciate your help. Have a good night

You, too!

Thanks,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)