Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have had major jaw surgery. Bone from leg to rebuild jaw.

Customer Question
I have had major jaw...
I have had major jaw surgery. Bone from leg to rebuild jaw. I now have a jaw that is being pulled to the right and is causing pain and disfigurement of the mouth. Do I have any options?
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No swelling. I only have 8 teeth on top left
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Having issues hearing due to pressure from a floating jaw bone
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
9/13/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good morning. I'd be happy to help you figure out how to proceed. Could you answer a few questions for me?

1) what side of your face was the original jaw surgery completed on?

2) how long ago was that surgery?

3) what was the reason you had this surgery? Was it an injury? A tumor?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Right side
May 30 2016 - MD Anderson Houston
The bone had radiation necrosis
Tumor under tongue.

OK, thank you for answering those questions. Back to your original question, you definitely have some options. It sounds like you may need to have an assessment of the job bone done in order to determine whether or not it is still doing it's job. If things are moving and shifting, that means the joint is changing. It is possible that you may need to have some more reconstructive surgery. Have you talked to your surgeon about the problems you are having?

I'm sorry. I noticed a typo in my above response. It should read jaw bone instead of job bone.

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)