Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had teeth 8 & 9 crowned today. When they gave me a mirror,

Customer Question
I had teeth 8 &...
I had teeth 8 & 9 crowned today. When they gave me a mirror, I noticed a white spot halfway down each tooth. The tech agreed she also saw them then called the dentist back over and after looking at them, he apologized and said it was the white cement/glue that was visible through the porcelain crowns. He will be re-doing the crowns next week. I'd like to understand if this is typical or if there was an error by the lab or the dentist that resulted in the porcelain being too thin and translucent. This guy has been my dentist for 10 years but this experience has been wondering if this is something that just happens sometimes or a warning sign to find another dentist (after he fixes these crowns)?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dental
Adding: photo, white spots actually a little farther than halfway down the tooth.
Less grainy photo of white spots on 8 & 9
Proposed fix is tinting/painting inside crowns so they are less translucent, and dentist said he will order clear-colored cement to use instead of white.
9/13/2017
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 11 months ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

I dont think that's cement at all, I think its a lab error and the porcelain layer hasnt been done properly. Im glad he is redoing the crowns. This shouldnt happen again, its a one in a hundred thousand chance that this can happen and go unnoticed.

You should be able to see those white spots even after the crowns are removed. Try looking at this them, with a bright source of light as a background.

Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,

Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further questions, do write back!

Regards,

Dr. Behere