Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Today I have had a crown cemented on by a dentist that was

Customer Question

Today I have had a crown cemented on by a dentist that was referred to me. I knew I shouldn't have but I went just to have him put back on a crown that needed to be replaced or should have 4 months ago. Well I told the dentist that it was still uncomfortable even after he kept drilling down the tooth above it or the filling in the tooth.he said once permanent crowns are made they cannot be altered. So he said that it feels funny because it has been a little while since it was in my mouth. But it clearly hurts. I cannot chew on that side. Any friction on the tooth cause much discomfort. I can feel a small gap between my gum line and the crown. I can feel the very bottom of the tooth underneath. I cannot bite down all the way and it does feel like it's up too high despite the drilling. He wouldn't listen to me when I told him it was still uncomfortable. How can I have it removed without hurting the tooth which was a root canal underneath?
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No swelling, just pain if I try and bite down. As long as there is no pressure or if I'm not chewing it doesn't hurt. It even feels like it doesn't belong in there and this is not my first crown.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

If the crown was permanently cemented,it needs to be cut off. This is a simple process that takes only a minute. The crown is useless anyway and does not fit properly. The tooth needs to be simply reprepped and a new impression needs to be made. In two weeks ,you will have a new crown and you should be fine.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

The time period that elapsed allowed the tooth without the crown to super erupt as well as the opposing tooth.Your dentist should have known better than trying to fit a crown this old. If the crown is less than a year old,the dentist who made the crown should be responsible for replacing it. If you failed to return for your cement appointment two weeks later,then you may be responsible for part of the price for the new crown.The crown needs to be removed though ASAP.If this crown is even a little bit high,it will constantly cause pain when biting and then start to cause pain in your ear. The high spot will cause the ligaments of the temporomandibular joint to overstretch and the pain will persist until the crown is removed.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Removing the crown will not hurt the tooth underneath and you should experience no sensitivity with the tooth itself because it has been root canaled. The high spot on the crown will make it feel like you have a toothache even though the tooth is dead.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

I am going to sign off for the night and I have not gotten any response. I will check back in the morning to see if you need any further information.