Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Awarded, licensed dentist with over 13 years experience
99431558

My 20 months old son felt on his front tooth and one went up

Good evening,
My 20 months old son felt on his front tooth and one went up half way why should I do ? Thanks

Good evening! You need to try to reposition the tooth back to its normal position. Can you do that for me? Use finger pressure only.

Dr. Lara

It's a very common injury, and not a real cause for alarm, but it can create some long-term problems if the tooth is left at its submerged position.

He will also be in some pain, so you should give him the age and/or weight-appropriate dosage of children's Motrin or ibuprofen as soon as possible.

Do you have access to that medication?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Okay. I am standing by. Please go ahead and try to reposition the tooth with your fingers if you can. He won't be happy, but you need to do it if at all possible. Let me know how it goes.

It would be great if you could send me a photo after you've gotten it back to normal position so I can verify that everything looks good.

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am trying to reposition the tooth

Okay! Great. I am hoping he will cooperate for you. I know this isn't easy.

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We were able to pull the tooth back down.

Yay!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do we need to do now?

Okay, that is great! You are fast! From here on, you need to manage his symptoms by giving him the children's Motrin/ibuprofen as directed on the packaging. Tylenol is not as good as ibuprofen. If it's all you have, go ahead and give a dose of that, and then get some ibuprofen ASAP.

Also, keep him on a soft diet, and don't let him bite into anything with his front teeth, including toys, teething implements, etc...

The overall injury will heal over the next 1-2 weeks, and the tooth position will stabilize. It is normal for the tooth to feel a little loose.

More coming.....

Now for the long-term consequences:

It's very possible that there will be zero long-term consequences of this injury. It is slightly possible that he could have a few of the following things happen:

1) the permanent tooth underneath this baby tooth could have suffered some damage. You will find this out whenever you get his first dental x-rays of this tooth. If this has happened, there is nothing you can do until the tooth comes into the mouth, so please don't worry about it. It's about 5 years in your future.

2) This baby tooth could die, meaning the nerve inside it was severed by this injury. If this happens the tooth may change to a dark gray or yellow color. If you see ANY signs of infection around the root area of this tooth (that would look like a little pimple on the gums), get to the dentist ASAP. The baby tooth needs to be pulled if it gets infected so that it does not spread to other areas.

Other than watching for a pimple-infection or changing in color, once you're past the initial few weeks of stabilization, you can return to business as usual. You will know more once his baby teeth start falling out, and the permanent ones start coming in (around age 6-7 years).

Do you have any questions for me?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok can he have still a pacifier in his month

That's a great question! Do you know if he clenches or bites down on the pacifier? If so, it would not be good for this tooth. If he only sucks on it without any biting force, he should be fine.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No more questions that was very helpful thank you ��
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry tried to put a smiley face
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have a good evening

You're so welcome! I'm glad I was able to help, and I'm SO glad you logged on and used this to get him taken care of so quickly!

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara