Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Awarded, licensed dentist with over 13 years experience
99431558

I am a 46 year old female who was just told my upper right

Hi I am a 46 year old female who was just told my upper right wisdom tooth has some decay at the bone and may soon start effecting the tooth next to it. I have never had any cavities and this is the first mention of decay. I have all of my teeth with no wisdom teeth every being extracted before. I have anxiety and take lorazapam low dose daily. My daughter had seizures when she went under to have some teeth pulled and I am very anxious to do this. The tooth does not bother me. Do I need to do this right now
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: no very healthy

Good morning! I'd be happy to give you a little more information on this. Any time there is decay, you should proceed with treatment as soon as possible because we know that decay progresses over time.

Wisdom teeth are at a higher risk for decay because of their location in the mouth. This is probably why you have developed a cavity there when the rest of your mouth is healthy.

You do not have to be sedated for the extraction, and upper wisdom teeth are typically very easy to extract. This means it should not be a traumatic visit for you. I would discuss your anxiety issues with your dentist to determine what is the best course of action for you. Maybe a low dose of laughing gas would be enough to relax you during the procedure, and you would maintain consciousness.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that definitely helps to put me at ease. Thank you

You're welcome. I am happy to help. Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. Lara