Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had an old filling that broke away while eating. It

Customer Question
I had an old...

I had an old filling that broke away while eating. It exposed the nerve in the tooth a reddish brown area about one quarter size of molar. I have been on anti biopics for 5 days to reduce swelling,however the pain goes from barely noticeable to excruciating. Don't know how much more I can take. Am broke so am trying home remedies.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

One week, seems like years.The swelling is mostly gone, but a small sensitive sack has formed on the side of the tooth. This to the touch is unbearable.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

No, but is there any over the counter suggestions?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
9/11/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi so sorry you are having so much trouble with this.

You should be doing warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face.

For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

Since you are unable to afford treatment at this time I will offer you some suggestions where you may be able to find low cost or no cost help. Please stay on the antibiotics until you have completed the entire prescription. Hopefully you are on either Amoxicillin 500mg or Clindamycin 300mg because they are the drugs of choice for this problem you are now experiencing.

Here some resources that you can look into:

You may be able to get help from one of the following sources:

https://www.hhs.gov/answers/health-care/where-can-i-find-low-cost-dental-care/index.html

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/popularpublications/findinglowcostdentalcare/

http://www.unitedway.org/

http://www.carecredit.com/ for financing options that would better fit your budget.

Other viable options to consider:

1. Dental schools:

www.dentalsite.com/dentists/densch.html

Dental schools charge far less than private practice however it does take more time to complete.

2. Clinics (free and low cost) Discounted dental services and dental workshops that offer free or

discounted/reduced services.

www.freemedicalcamps.com/

3. Freedentalcare.com

4. Local dental society or :

http://ebusiness.ada.org/mystate.aspx

They would be able to direct you to Foundations and Charitable outlets that may offer dental services.

5. Volunteer dentists and hygienists providing free care:

Dentistryfromtheheart.org

***-***-****

6. http://toothwisdom.org/care

7. dentallifeline.org/our-state-programs

8. http://freemedicalcamps.com/

Hopefully you will be able to find what you can handle with one of the above choices.

Does all this make sense to you??

Did you need more help with this???

Are you still there?

Did you get what you wanted from the site??

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor