Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Awarded, licensed dentist with over 13 years experience
99431558

I have spent $20,000 saving my teeth. now I am being told

I have spent $20,000 saving my teeth. now I am being told that all my work has been for naught. before I go into my endo/perio consultation, I want to know an approximation of cost for extraction of all teeth and standard dentures? I know when I go in it will be extraction of 3 teeth and 3 bridges -- could you give me an approximation on that too? (standard bridge, NO implant)
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: two of three teeth are abscessed - one continually needs to be lacerated. we found out that right next to that tooth is a hidden tooth way above my gum line that never came through. showed on xrays. the 3rd is my front tooth and is being held up by four veneers and bonding. but the only swelling/is at the problem tooth (that has a hidden tooth right next to it).
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: I have spent the last 3 yrs trying to save my teeth. the problem tooth 3 years ago, crumbled, since then it has been a series of root canals, crowns, aristen therapy to clear up peridontisis in 6-8 teeth, bone grafting. my dds retired - my first visit with new dentist my one back molar is at an 8 (abscessed -- but no swelling), my front tooth that is protected by bonded veneer is at 7 and the problem tooth continually puffs up way up inside my mouth and the gum next to tooth is sensitive. now I have 4 other teeth besides these teeth that have gone back to a 5/6. I have been completely diligent in my home care for the past 3 years... before that -- no -- hit or miss in brushing regularly, former smoker (quit 25 years ago), used to drink tons of coffee (no more) and tons of soda (no more)... :( I'm also 65 years old (female)

Good morning! I'd be happy to help you get some answers. In your initial question, you asked about cost. I can give you an estimate of what I know costs are in my area (Dallas, TX, metroplex), but please understand that cost varies from state to state.

Extraction of teeth can vary from $150-350 depending on the level of complexity of the extraction itself. This price is per tooth. This does not include any sedation.

Full dentures range from $1500-2000 per arch (upper and lower are made separately, so if you were to do all of your teeth, it would be twice this fee).

In general, you can estimate the cost of a cemented bridge by taking the number of teeth it will include and multiplying by the cost of a dental crown. In my area, a crown is around $1200, so a bridge covering 3 teeth would be $3600.

Does that give you a better idea about cost?

What other questions can I answer for you?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am 65 years old -- do you think it was wasted effort trying to resolve the periodontal issues with arestin therapy followed by bone grafting? it seems my mouth is okay for awhile and is healing and then this. I was never so shocked and disappointed when I went to the new dentist and to see I'm right back where I started 3 years ago. i know i can't do anything about my past neglect of me teeth, but my personal dental hygiene for the past 3 years (is probably better them some dentists). in your opinion, would you go with bridges first (before possibly the inevitable, partials and or dentures)? If it were you would you keep the veneers on the front teeth (my front tooth has been stable at 7 and the veneers/bonding have acted as a brace). if you were me what would you do? in the end, dentures are so much cheaper then going through all this pain, surgery, agony, not to mention the high cost of what it has been so far... i am still in a state of shock. before 3 years ago, even though i didn't take care of my teeth i never had any issues...

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I know it can be so discouraging. And no, I do not think it was wasted effort. It is always better to try to save your teeth because nothing will ever function as good as your natural teeth. That being said, sometimes your natural teeth don't respond the way we want them to. Have you ever been to see a periodontist? Or has all of your gum treatment been done by your general dentist?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
good question. all of the work was done by the dentist. he did a lot of scaling. my consultation with perio/endo on sept 21 will be the 1st time with period/endo. as i understand it i probably will have my gums cut so they can go deeper in the cleaning on the 5/6 -- and i am sure the abscesses will be extracted. but that front tooth protected by veneers, do you think it would be unhealthy to keep that tooth as is? i suspect (when I was young, i got kicked in that tooth really bad) -- so i don't think that tooth is a perio issue, just a bone loss issue
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all of the bad teeth have already had root canals and the one that keeps bumping up (my new dentist said the root canal was completed correctly). i used to have a LOT of silver in my mouth, my former dentist took all of that out of my mouth as well...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is it possible for periodontisis to go away?

Okay, great! I think you won't be able to make a firm decision until after you get a thorough evaluation by the periodontist. A periodontist will have no problem at all dealing with 5-8mm pockets. It's their specialty. The periodontist will be able to give you an idea of how successful treatment of these periodontal pockets will be. Your good oral hygiene is a huge plus! That gives you a much better success rate. The endodontist will tell you the long-term prognosis of any treatment on abscesses. Some of them may be able to be retreated (they remove the existing root canal, clean it out, and replace the root canal filling). Retreatments of root canals can be very successful, but there are a lot of factors that influence the success rate. The endodontist should discuss all of these with you.

Periodontal disease can be stabilized to a level where you can keep your existing teeth if the progression stops, and the gums and bone are at a stage where you can maintain their health. This usually involves some periodontal surgery. Officially, the disease can be stopped, but you will deal with the effects of it for the rest of your life (gum recession, areas where food gets stuck, etc....). Does that make sense?

I know I'm giving you a lot of information. I do think it's time to move on to a specialist, and make your decision after you get a thorough evaluation by both a periodontist and an endodontist. The information they give you on long-term success rates will help you make a much better decision.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You are an absolute angel! Thank you so much. Do you know the cost of periodontal surgery? I'm asking because I need to pay for their services before the services (25-50% after consultation) and the rest the day of service. I need to secure a loan for this, i don't want to dip into my retirement fund or savings....

I don't have a good estimate on that because it's not a procedure we do in our office. (We always refer it out to a periodontist). From my internet search, it says the cost of a periodontal flap surgery can range anywhere from $2000-10,000. The cost definitely depends on the number of teeth treated. I know many people will elect to have the surgery done on one quadrant at a time to spread out the cost and the healing time. If you want to do this, ask the periodontist to start with the area with the deepest pockets.

Does that answer your question? Any others?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does. is that 2-10K per quadrant -- or is that a cumulative pricing from partial to full range surgery?

I think it's more cumulative. If you have dental insurance, you could call your provider and ask what types of benefits they provide for periodontal surgery. The periodontist would treatment plan for the exact codes, so I could be wrong in my guessing here. I would ask your insurance company (or if you do not have insurance, ask the front office of the periodontist) for the fees on dental codes 4240 or 4260. These are both periodontal surgeries, with 4260 being more invasive (treating the bone in addition to the gums). Both of these codes cover a full quadrant.

Does that help?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Again, you are an angel! I will take your advice and call their front office on those codes. Thank you so much, Dr. Lara! Have a great day!

You're so welcome! I'm happy to help. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara