Drew Moore DDS MS
Drew Moore DDS MS,
Experience:  Periodontist at E Drew Moore, DDS, MS
96424466

About 2 yrs ago maybe. I have a wisdom tooth coming up a

Customer Question

hi
JA: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?
Customer: About 2 yrs ago maybe. I have a wisdom tooth coming up a little from the gum
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: No not at all...there is a flap of skin over the tooth but no pain. I have had a realky gross tatse/ smell in my mouth and have been coughing up plem. Im so scared
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: I have really horrible anxiety and high blood pressure thats about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Drew Moore DDS MS replied 1 month ago.

It looks like part of your question might not have posted. So, I'm going to ask for some clarity. Are you saying that you have a wisdom tooth/third molar coming through the gum and there is a flap over the tooth?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

If that is the case, and you have a bad taste and smell, then you may have pericoronitis...........

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that life threatening...im so scared

The flap of tissue gets food stuck under it and it causes a local, but not full body/systemic infection. This tissue can swell and then a person may bite it and then it gets inflamed and grows more, from the inflammation. It can recover and get smaller, but often this cycle repeats..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea mine did get smaller almost like it popped. Im just so scared or the infection going to my brain or getting lewing or something

I suggest getting to an oral surgeon or periodontist, someone who does IV sedation, and get the tooth extracted. The IV sedation medications will lower anxiety so you won't really know what is going on and you might sleep through the procedure. Once the tooth is out, things will heal up and this whole are will become smaller and the infection and swelling will go away.

The tooth is partially erupted, but is most likely in an angle so that it will not erupt properly into your mouth and you probably don't have the room for it, anyway.

If left for a long time, the infection could become serious. But, if you get this taken care of, soon, it will be fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ive had it for years.....

It takes a very serious infection to be a danger. But, again, better to be safe and get this addressed.

It must be changing in position somewhat and causing the new problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would i know if it was really badly infected?

It depends. But, your cheek could start to swell and be noticeable from the outside and your neck might swell. If this type of swelling occurs it is extremely serious. Just don't let it go to that point. You should be able to find someone and get in fairly quickly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My neck was swollen one morning ......im so scared im gunna die

But, it went down. If it was from the tooth, it wouldn't have gone down on its own. That might have been from some viral infection. Don't be scared, but don't wait. Just go to a surgeon who will use the type of medication to relax you. You'll be comfortable and mostly unaware of the entire procedure. With the things we use, patients don't often remember the procedure, either. But, you'll need to go for a consult, first and then make the extraction appointment. They will take images to see if there are any other wisdom teeth that need to be extracted while you're sedated. Don't worry; just be proactive and get it taken care of. Good luck with this. Trust me when I say that you'll be so much happier once this is done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think i will be ok until monday?

It sounds like you've been dealing with it for awhile. I can't see you. But, it probably can wait until Monday. But, you might want to start calling, today, and get an appointment. It's difficult to tell without an exam. Sometimes, depending upon the amount of swelling, we will place a patient on antibiotics for a few days and then do the extraction. But, please get to it. Thanks. I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Please accept my answer and leave me a great rating. :-)