Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Im having a bridge replaced because my gums receded and the…

Customer Question
Im having a bridge...

Im having a bridge replaced because my gums receded and the anchor teeth decayed. I have a temporary installed now. My dentist said there wasn't enough of the rear anchor tooth left so he went one tooth back and ground it down to use as a new anchor. My concern is that when the new bridge is installed over the old ground down tooth, it will decay over time. Should I have it removed before the permanent bridge is installed?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I gave you a detailed message of my concern. Should I let the dentist install the bridge over the ground down tooth or should I have it removed first?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Dentist: Drew Moore DDS MS, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Drew Moore DDS MS
Drew Moore DDS MS, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi. This is Dr. Moore. Do you happen to have any X-rays or intra-oral pictures? Thanks.

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine