Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am on vacation and can't find a dr I am having severe pain…

Customer Question
I am on vacation...

I am on vacation and can't find a dr I am having severe pain in my left cheek and it is swollen. I thought it was my tooth because yesterday my tooth was tender but today my teeth don't hurt but my cheek does

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

My gums are not red nor tender but my check is

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
9/7/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 8 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

So sorry about your trouble!

Until you can get to a Dentist, I'd secure a zip-loc baggie or use saran wrap (if that's all you have), put ice and water in the plastic bag or equivalent, and wrap it with a wash cloth or equivalent, and apply the "COLD" to the area of trouble. It should bring SOME relief!

But, I'd still continue on your trek to find a Dentist when you can. The above often helps in a pinch, I hope it serves you well till you get to the Dentist, who can evaluate & make things even better for you...

Dr. Rampton

*Please do rate my answer, but also, please feel free to ask any additional concerns if needed - OK?

Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If you have swelling in your cheek,you have an infection. It will be important that you start an antibiotic right away. The one of choice is penicillin 500 mg every 6 hours. Amoxicillin 500 mg every 8 hours is also effective as well as clindamycin 300 mg every six hours. Facial swelling is nothing to fool around with and can ruin a vacation.It will be important for you to get to an urgent care center or hospital if you cannot find a doctor or dentist and get started on an antibiotic ASAP.These infections will not get better but they will get worse until the tooth is treated.Your cheek is swollen because of the pus that accumulating in the soft tissue of your face and the source of the infection is most likely the tooth.Urgent care centers or hospital emergency rooms can write antibiotic prescriptions but generally do not offer dental treatment.

As I first mentioned above, try to get to a Dentist as soon as possible.

In the interim, you do what you can do with swelling and pain. ICE is something that works fairly well, short term.

However, as you stated, you've NOT been able to get to a Dr. yet, thus you can't get antibiotics even if you did need them.

Swelling is from trauma & infection both. You'd know best if you've had any trauma.

Over the counter Ibuprofen or Tylenol should also assist with your pain.

Again, if you should have any further concerns, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Dr. Rampton

I hope you are feeling better. Have you had a chance to see a Dentist or Physician yet?

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist