Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

This is re if I really really need a crown for my filling. I…

This is re if I...
This is re if I really really need a crown for my filling. I will post the xray tmr once received but this is a picture of that tooth that you can see the filling
8/28/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

That was quick!! The pic shows a composite restoration in tooth #19, the first molar.

If the restoration is not leaking or decaying then there is no reason to replace the filling.

If there is decay or if something breaks then any restoration that covers or protects the cusps would be recommended.

That is why they recommended doing a crown but only if the filling needs a replacement.

Onlays using gold will also work instead of a crown.

I will keep an eye out for the X-ray and can then comment further.

Thanks!!

Thank you. So if it is still good and strong, I don't really need one right now?
I think my dentist said it looks fine from the latest xray we did last SAT and no crack. But to make it strong we should do a crown. I am just wondering if it is a MUST to do it now

Yes that is correct!

He is right that if you did place a crown on it it would strengthen the entire tooth.

However, it is not something that needs to be done as long as you are careful how and what you bite on going forward.

If I have an old chair that may break do I replace it now or wait until it does break, if ever??

The problem with teeth is that a break can sometimes lead to the loss of a tooth but most times the tooth is reparable.

It comes down to whether you are a gambler with this entire scenario and given you have had no issues for the last two years then you most likely will be fine without a crown now.

How do feel about this whole question now????

I do understand. I just feel like he would have to make my tooth smaller in order to put the crown over and it is also a risk if my tooth is still strong.. but I understand what you're saying.

You are correct that to place a crown on it now would require more tooth structure to be removed which again opens you up to all sorts of things when it is not an absolute necessity to do it now.

It does come down to your choice and if it was me I would not rush into doing anything unless I really needed it done now because of a problem which you do not seem to have. Please upload the X-ray when you get it!! Thanks.

Hereis the xray

Thanks for the X-ray.

Everything looks ok and all that needs to be done when you go in next is to probe the restoration to be sure there are no leaks.

Otherwise, I would do nothing especially since you are asymptomatic!! :):)

whenever that tooth needs a restoration, you would suggest to do the crown, is that correct?

Yes because as you age the tooth dries out and becomes more brittle which increases the chances for cracks and fractures but if the cusps are covered this rarely happens. This is why a crown would be the best way to go if and when the filling needs replacement!!

I see. My friend even have the crown on and breaks it 2-3 times already. Lol
So i am not going to do anything yet

Did you say he has a crown that has broken 2-3 times alreadY????

Root Canal Doctor
I think it could be how he chew things..

Actually it is more likely a bad laboratory that makes the crown. The next time it breaks be sure your friend asks the dentist to use a different laboratory to fabricate the crown!!! :):)