Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had a wisdom tooth come in which caused an infection, i

hi i had a wisdom tooth come in which caused an infection, i was on a round antibiotics for 2 weeks before i was able to schedule the lower wisdom tooth extraction even after the tooth came out (monday) I've been in severe pain and my dentist suspects its an infection he prescribed antibiotics but how come this infection won't go away even after the tooth was removed?
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: yes a lot of jaw discomfort
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: and just gum pain in the extraction site no nothing at all i have a perfectly normal medical history I'm a young female age 25

Hi, severe pain at this point in time following an extraction is usually a sign of an infection as opposed to a dry socket.

It takes at least 48-72 hours for an antibiotic to become effective. You should also be using warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face.

For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

What antibiotic are you taking??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I am on amoxicillin 500mg/3x a day for 7 days. As a background, i first got an infection when my wisdom tooth started to come in. I was prescribed the same dosage of antibiotics which was effective. A few days later the infection came back, and because I was out of town for business, I had to get a second dose of antibiotics which killed the infection (a second time). I then had the tooth completely removed. Now I have another infection. Should I be concerned that this infection is continuing to persist even after the extraction?

No you should not given what you just told me. This is why removal of a wisdom tooth is best done when it acts up and not try to prolong the extraction until antibiotics are needed again and again. Eventually the antibiotics will not help until the tooth is out. This just means that the infection was really bad by the time you had the extraction so your response postoperatively is not unexpected.

10-14 days following your issue is what I would expect for you to finally be pain free.

If you continue with problems I suggest you ask for Clindamycin 300 mg as an alternative antibiotic. OK??

i will be away from my PC for a short time and will answer as soon as I return if you have more concerns!!

Thanks. :):)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I definitely should have taken the tooth out immediately upon it becoming infected, lesson learned for sure. Thank you so much of your help, and hopefully the amoxicillin kicks in. It has been about 31 hours so hopefully tomorrow i will see more improvement. I am seeing my dentist this week so if there is infection in the site he can possibly drain it as well.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also-how can I be sure that after i finish this round of antibiotics it doesn't come back for a 4th time? Silly question but after so many times I'm a bit paranoid now!

Once you are pain free you are good to go. If there is any drainage when you see your dentist this week and you are still having problems then please do ask for the Clindamycin. If you are feeling better later this week then you are ok and and need not worry an more. :):)

(PS you are not paranoid because If I was your shoes I too would be worried)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm scared to assume that if i am pain free i am good to go-because the last two times i was pain free it came back! is this time different because the actual tooth has been removed?

Yes, that is correct!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great-thank you so much for giving me some peace of mind, you've been SO helpful!

You are very welcome!! Have a great evening!! :):)