Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My wife got a wisdom tooth extracted on Friday the tooth was

Hi JA: Hello. How can I...
Hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My wife got a wisdom tooth extracted on Friday the tooth was already out.
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: Now after 1-2 days it hurts really bad and I think it's a dry socket The painkillers aren't helping. in the hole, I see white and greyish colours
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: In the hole, I see white and greyish colours. The pain is very accute. Advil or Tylenols aren't helping.
8/20/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, it does sound as if your wife has a dry socket. It occurs when the the blood clot in the extraction site was lost. This can occur 1-3 days following an extraction and leads to extreme discomfort and extends the healing time. Dry sockets normally heal from the bottom up on their own with no treatment required. Exposed bone is what causes the pain. Once a new clot forms and granulation tissue covers the exposed bone your discomfort will disappear. It could take 10-14 days for this to occur and as long as 4-6 weeks for total healing!

There are no restrictions when eating. She can have whatever she likes..

At your local drugstore you can get some gauze and cut it so it is about 3/4 of an inch square and apply some Zinc Oxide Ointment or Desitin Ointment on it and put it in her socket. The pain relief should be almost immediate! However, this does need to be removed in 48 hours. Packing the socket with oil of clove gauze is standard treatment.

If it is no longer exposed then it should be left alone granulate and heal. Since she is in extreme pain now she should make her own oil of clove dressing.

This video will show you what and how to do it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iWC3laSv68

She needs to take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Advil and Tylenol together is as strong as a narcotic and works even better.

Unfortunately for your wife exposed bone is very painful and once the bone is covered with some granulation tissue she will be much more comfortable. Does this answer your question?

Here's an image... you hardly see it on the photo but in the hole I see white marks almost if like another tooth is growing there

Thanks for the excellent photo!

What you see in the socket is the healing process (tissue) and debris in the socket. Do not try to remove any of it and just place the eugenol/gauze in the hole and her pain will magically disappear. Please do watch the short "how to" video because it will make it easier for to do it properly.

Pain is the main indicator of a dry socket but dry socket merely means exposed bone! Exposed bone is exquisitely painful and once covered the pain will be gone.

With the image sent you can confirm that's it is a dry socket? Thanks.

It sure is! Classic dry socket. :(:(

Okay, so I just apply some Zinc Oxide Ointment on a gauze and fill the hole, right?

That is correct!! Remember to remove it in 48 hours and replace it with a new ZO gauze!

Be sure not to oversize the gauze!! OK?

The pain is like burning and the only way to make it better temporarily is by filling the mouth with water. Also the pain radiates in the adjacent teeth, all normal for dry socket?

What happens with the water is that it temporarily covers the exposed bone which reduces the pain.

The pain radiates forward and can also radiate up to the upper teeth and even to the ear.

Dry sockets are not fun and once you have one you never forget the feeling!!

Root Canal Doctor
Okay, off to the pharmacy I go. Thank you very much.

You are very welcome!! Good luck!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor