Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I've had a gold crown on a molar for about 20 years. My

I've had a gold crown on a molar for about 20 years. My dentist says there is a pit on that tooth. She says I need to remove the crown, possibly remove and replace the silver filling in the next tooth, fill the beginning decay (pit), and replace the crown. She suggests zircon for the crown, and she says she will make it bigger to fit closer to the next tooth to prevent food getting stuck.
The gold crown has always been very comfortable. Is it a good idea to make the new crown bigger?
Why would she be thinking about removing and replacing the filling in the next tooth?

Hi, you ask a very good question. A Zirconium crown is an excellent choice as a replacement for your old crown.

I would not remove the silver filling in the adjacent tooth unless there is a good reason to do so. If it is leaking, decayed or cracked then replacing it is a good idea. But just to replace it because it is old is not a good reason. So please ask why?? OK!

When she says a bigger crown she does not mean bulky or oversized what she means is to be sure that the new crown almost touches the silver filling in the next tooth in order to have a contact point which is needed to prevent food from lodging and causing gum problems. The new crown and silver filling need to be touching each other and the contact point should still allow floss to pass between them easily. Does this now make sense to you?