Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

A while back ago I was told by my dentist that I have a

retention cyst or pseudocyst I had...
A while back ago I was told by my dentist that I have a retention cyst or pseudocyst
I had no symptoms
Now I feel like I have a constant pressure on the side of my nose
Can it be this cyst? It is that dome shaped regular margins cyst that sits inside of my maxillary sinus on the left side
8/20/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good afternoon! I'd be happy to help you figure out what's going on. Thank you for attaching that panoramic x-ray. When was it taken?

The cyst that is visible in this x-ray is in the maxillary sinus (like you said), and it appears to be very large. It's possible that it could be causing the pressure in your nose if you are feeling it toward the back of your nose, more inside your head than out toward the front of your face based on the location of the cyst inside the sinus. It is centered over your upper left first molar, so that should be the origin of the pressure.

Have you already been advised to see an ENT about this cyst?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

This is from 2014. Never caused me symptoms before
This is where my pressure is
I am seeing an ENT tommorow because I have had this pressure for 3 weeks now
Is that the location that you are describing?

Okay, then yes! Knowing that x-ray is from 2014 does change things because it means that the cyst could have increased in size over the last 3 years. I'm happy to hear that you already have an ENT appointment for tomorrow. It is likely that the pressure you are feeling is from the cyst. I would expect them to tell you that they will need to remove the cyst surgically.

Yes, where you indicate could certainly be affected by the cyst shown in that x-ray.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

what type of cyst is this? They told me at the dentist that it could be a pseudocyst
Is that what you think that it is?
how do they remove it?

There are several different types of cysts that it could be, the most likely being one that has arisen from the tissue lining the inner surface of your sinus cavity. The only way to diagnose the type of cyst is by doing a biopsy of it once it's removed. Most ENTs will recommend this. I worked with one ENT who told me that it is rare, but possible, but these cysts to have malignant (cancerous) cells in them, so they do need to be removed ASAP.

The typically remove it by going in through your nose, so there is not external incision or scar. Since I'm not an ENT, this isn't my area of expertise, so don't quote me on any of this.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

it does
You mean that some cysts are cancerous that's why they need to be removed ?

Yes, that is exactly what the ENT I work with told me. He said in most cases it is not. It's just a rare possibility that makes it necessary for them all to be removed. Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

I understand so you always refer to the ENT when you see these structures in the sinuses?

Yes. It's up to the patient to choose whether or not to go, and in most cases it's not anything invasive or dangerous. However, simply because of the small chance that it could be cancer, it's highly recommended that you move forward with ENT treatment.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)