Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

How to know if a tooth infection has spread to the brain? A…

How to know if a...
How to know if a tooth infection has spread to the brain? A year a got a my tooth full and inplant a bone for future tooth inplant, i start seing the gum next my full tooth red bobble, i just keep popping up like pimple finally after year my neck start hurting when to dentist they said i have tooth abscess they did root canal and prescribed me amoxicillin for 7 days 1000mg every 12hours. Also i have bad side effects of amoxicillin. Diarrhea, harm leeg weak and sleeping ( it keep waking up)
8/20/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Tooth infections going to the brain are extremely rare. Before that happens you would have had a high fever and been quite ill. Your face and neck would also be swollen long before the infection would become systemic.Do you currently have a tooth infection or any swelling?

I am with a patient currently. If I don't respond right away, I will be back with you as soon as I am done.

I did not have fever, They did a root canal my abscess tooth and yes little bit swallen my left jaw and tender my neck
I was precribed amoxicillin 1000mg every 12 hours for seven days, i did have bad side effects, diarrhea, weak leeg and harm and sleeping and anxiety, is did this normal?

How long have you been on the amoxicillin? Is the root canal completed?

7days no i have to came back for crown.

The root canal is a separate procedure from the crown. The crown would have nothing to do with the infection. Are you saying that the root canal was completed a week ago and that you have been on the amoxicillin and still have swelling after seven days?.

root canal was completed, im not sure about the swelling, i dont have pain in face where is my tooth root canal.

If you have no swelling and there is no drainage from above the tooth,you have nothing to worry about. Seven days on the amoxicillin after the root canal was done should have wiped out any infection. The infection will not and has not gone to your brain.

I have little bit swelling on my left jaw, no pain or sentivity on my tooth.

This should all disappear within a day or two. If there is still swelling there may be another tooth involved. I would need to see your xrays to confirm that no other tooth is infected. In any case,you do not have to worry about your brain being infected.

Thank you Dr. Katz

You are welcome. Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)