Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I just feel like I have been having dry mouth and yesterday,

Hi, I just feel like...
Hi, I just feel like I have been having dry mouth and yesterday, I suddenly feel the sensitivity to sweet and cold on the upper tooth, the chewing tooth. After that, sometimes when I bite down I feel the sensitivity and small pain, not all the time.
I am also having TMJ, went to dentist he said Ihave a bit cavity that needs to be filled but not too serious yet, also showing gum recession. I drank some cold water and no sensitivity all the time. I am going to Vegas next week, so didn't want to get my fillings done yet. Possible sensitivity due to gum inflammation?
around that upper teeth area that I am feeling and the gum is inflammed that comes and goes
8/17/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, most dry mouth issues are do to dehydration or medications. If you have not started any new meds recently then you could just try to be more hydrated each day and see if that helps. Anxiety and stress are other factors rpthat can cause dry mouth. The phot shows some inflammation around the teeth which could account for your sensivity. TMJ issues can also cause tooth sensitivity and if your bite is off because of the TMJ then many times a simple bite adjustment or mouthguard will take care of things. As long as your temperature sensivity does not linger then that means that the rebound reaction of the nerves is good and the nerves are ok. I would wait as well until I return from Vegas before taking care of the cavities. This way you avoid any potential problems that may occur after the visit. I hope this answers your questions???
It does. I am afraid that the sensitivity is due to the tooth itself that needs the filling. But I have no sharp or dull pain on the tooth though. So it could be the inflammation on the gum and the recession around the gum too more than the tooth itself, you think?
I bumped my head around the temple are to a chair the other day and I think that is why it triggers my jaw pain and stiffness.
My guess, without seeing an X-ray, would also be the cavity is causing your sensitivity.
Recession can cause sensitivity but cavities are usually the culprits!
Sorry to hear about your accident but it could easily cause TMJ issues and if so should resolve on its own 7-10 days. That is the normal amount of time for most injuries to heal. Hopefully you will be back to normal before you go to Vegas! Sure hope so! :):)
I went to my dentist today actually and he said there is some filling that needs to be done but it is not large enough to cause any serious damage. He also said that there are plaque and tartar build up which could cause sensitivity too.
I am actually feeling the gum inflammation all over my upper teeth though sometimes in my front tooth and left side. But the sensitivity and the pain feeling that I felt yesterday is better now. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't feel it. So basically, everything that is happening to me right now, triggers the sensitivity. Waterpik would help with my gum?I am going to Vegas next week already so hopefully it will heal soon, everything. But re the fillings, you think I should wait until I come back, right?
We have an xray and he said he doesn't see anything unusual unless a filling that needs to be filled. But other than that the xray looks normal
a water pik would help! Absolutely! I recommend it to everyone and the most important time to use it is at night before going to bed. It should be the last thing you do to be sure no debris remains over night that coukd cause decay or gum issues. I do agree that you should wait to do the fillings after Vegas!
Glad to hear that the X-rays do not show antsy excessibpve bone loss or cavities that are deep enough to have already entered the nerves. So do wait until you return!
if the sensitivity comes and goes, you think it is not too serious and it could wait, right?
I do. If it was constant then you should do something before your trip.
Root Canal Doctor
thank you so much again!!!
You are very welcome! Have a great trip and come back happy! :):)
This is actually the xray my dentist sent me
Your dentist is correct that your bone loss is moderate and I really do not see any cavities unless found with probingbusungvan explorer. :)
Thank you! I feel relieved now. So nothing too bad and urgent to be done. Seems like my TMJ is getting better too!
You are welcome. Your X-ray looks really good and there is absolutely nothing urgent!
Glad to hear your TMJ is bettter too! :)
Hi Dr. Root Canal.
I have a question. So today I went to the dentist and he adjusted my bite a little bit on the left bottom tooth, 2nd from the back. That one has a lot of filling on and when he was polishing it, it hurt a bit and a bit of sensitive, he said it is because he was doing it near the nerve. However, it doesn't really hurt anymore, but still feel a bit of sensitive, is that because we were working on it? And it will go away eventually? However, it shows gum recession on that tooth as well.

Yes that is correct!!

It should go away on its own. If it does not then you would need to see the dentist for another adjustment or a check to see if the nerve in the tooth is healthy. In either case there if you want to try some desensitizing toothpaste that may help with the sensitivity.

Here are few choices you can try from any drugstore:

Sensodyne or Colgate's Durophat or http://www.colgatesensitiveprorelief.com/EN/products/toothpaste

Other Colgate Products Related to Dentin Hypersensitivity:

Colgate® Sensitive Toothpaste

Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief® Desensitizing Paste

These may help and they are worth a try if the sensitivity continues!! :):)

Thank you. I think it was there with me for a long time like 2 years and never had it adjusted. I would have pain sometimes when I bite down and was afraid that it was cracked. Today, he made me chew and said it is definitely high and I should feel better. It doesn't feel that much sensitive as it was when I first have the filling done and was completely high and hurt when bite down.
But if it doesn't hurt every time I bite down, that means it is probably the sensitivity after bothering it and adjustment.

More than likely!! Time will tell for sure! :)

Hope it doesn't act up during my Vegas trip this wednesday!

You will be too busy to notice anything!! LOL, I hope!!

WIN!!!

Hahaha thank you!!!
At least it is not crack and that is the best!

:):)

Do you think crown is necessary on a tooth hat has lots of filling? I am a bit afraid as I have TMJ and don't wanna have my mpuh open for too long.

Yes!! The tooth needs edge strength and you can only have that with a crown which is why any tooth with a lot of filling needs a crown if the filling needs to be replaced. That is good dentistry!!

Can you suggest me of any home remedies to treat gum inflammation?
I think i am feeling a bit tingling senstion on gum. Not that it hurts or anything, it is the sensation that it is inflammed.
Please see pic if it looks inflammed to you.
And the second pic is the gum recession, right?

Your photos look ok and do not show recession just slightly inflamed gums. There are no root surfaces showing and that is when recession is obvious. You can have bone loss and the gums can look normal which is what your photos show. Besides what I have already suggested for your home hygiene you can use hydrogen peroxide 1:1 to help with your maintenance.

Be sure your diet is good and that you have enough minerals and vitamins and you can do this by taking a 1 a day complete vitamin as well as staying hydrated. Good luck!!

Thank you. Normally for gum inflammation, it would heal on its own within 7-10 days?

Yes if you are careful and diligent with your home care.

I have been using waterpik, morning and night, I also tried to brush my teeth after every meal.

Great! Try not to be too aggressive when brushing and be sure to floss too!

Am I lacking vitamin C, that is why my gum occasionally inflammed and feel dry?

Could be, yes. Take a one a day vitamin and you will be covered!

Thank you so much for all your help!

My pleasure!! :):)

I have been having a weird feeling on my tongue that it is dry. I have used a salt water for my gum inflammation for 2 days only at night time though, could that be the culprit?

Yes it could be the rinses or ?????

Most likely not the rinses . Could be your metabolism, foods you ate, etc.

No way to tell.

I have been using inhaler and allergy medications like the nasal spray and claritin
could be all of that all together

Most likely all of those together are responsible for your tongue feeling weird. I agree with you because meds can cause all sorts of side effects. But you need the inhaler and allergy meds so do not stop using them. :)

I have mild symptoms so I am trying to taper off on those medications haha And use more natural things like steam room.
Thank you very much for all your help though :)

You are welcome!! Good luck and hang in there!! :):)

Hi again! Came back from Vegas. Teeth all good. I was wondering the tooth on the left before the last one on the lower tooth we discussed about before that I might need a crown. I have been having it with no crown for 2 years since the diagnose that I might need a crown. Do you think it is necessary to must have a crown? I can get an xray and see how you think.. seems like 2 years but they didn't really push it to do it. And the thing is my dentist just got out of network from my dental

Glad you had no problems while on your trip!! Good news!!

When you say "you might need a crown" two years ago then the whoever gave you that recommendation would still consider it valid. I would love to look at at the X-ray for you and comment but that is another area and would require you to open a new question regarding it and it has been over a week since we started with this question and it once a week passes and a new area is discussed a new question needs to be initiated. If you request me for it I would be very happy to help you. Site rules dictate how I can respond. Thanks and I hope to hear from you!!! :):)

Thanks. Once got the xray, will definitely open a new forum!

You are welcome!! Will keep eye out for the new question!!

Have a great evening!!

Any specific time you are online?

I am on most times all day but if you make it a request for me then no one else can answer unless I do not answer in the allotted hold time. So I should be able to respond whenever you do get the Xray and post the question. Thanks!!

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor