Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Can dental implants be cleaned manually or with lasers? No,

Customer Question
Can dental implants be...

Can dental implants be cleaned manually or with lasers?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I might need an implant and I can't tolerate the untrasonic cleaners because of sensitive hearing problem that I have

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dental
8/16/2017
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 6 months ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

Dental implants (or more properly, the abutments or attachments that are connected to implants) can be cleaned manually. In fact, with the increasing experience with peri-implantitis and peri-implant mucositis, the necessity of proper oral hygiene for implants is receiving more and more attention. Most notably, patients must be aware that implants require much the same oral hygiene efforts as natural teeth to minimize the risk of gum disease.

As for the use of ultrasonic scalers (e.g., Cavitron) on implants, it is generally considered inappropriate to use these devices on implants because they can scratch implant hardware and cause them to retain more bacterial biofilm. Therefore, you should not have to convince your dentist not to use the ultrasonic scaler on your implants simply because of your intolerance to their noise; it is not recommended to use this device on implants, regardless of tolerance. Dental manufacturers are coming out with special plastic instruments that are specifically made to clean around implant hardware, and your dentist should be using this instrumentation-- you should not have to ask for it.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist