Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am experiencing a slight fever with some pain and swelling…

I am experiencing a...

I am experiencing a slight fever with some pain and swelling in my face from what I assume is infected root tips from broken off root canals on the lower left of my jaw. Face is slightly swollen and running a slight temperature. I have been on Amoxicillin for 10 days now, 500 mgs 3 times a day. I have not been able to afford to have them taken out, but I can do it now. I'm just frightened because I know dental infections can spread.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No, slight fever just started tonight. Face is swollen on that side, not severe pain in root tip area but some pain radiating to my ear and I have a headache as well

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else you want Dr. Bornfeld, DDS (Dentist with more than 30 years of experience and a professor at NYU College of Dentistry)) to know before I connect you?

No, just need some reassurance that I'm not going to die!

8/15/2017
Just Dental Truths!

Actually, infections rarely spread from dental procedures. The more likely you are to get the needed root tips extracted because they are bothering you, the sooner that you will heal up the area of concern. Honestly, I'd have NO concern about infection spreading!!!

SCOUTS HONOR!

Can you get in to your Dentist of choice this week? It would be helpful for things to heal up for you...

Dr. Rampton

Actually Dr. Rampton, these broken off root canal tips have been there for quite some time, 2 of them. If the infection isn't spreading, why is my face swollen on that side and why am I experiencing some pain in the area of root tips,
but more concerning is pain going up into my ear and why am I having a headache from this? I have not been able to afford to get them taken out which is why I'm in this dilemma. Again, I've been on Amoxicillin 500mgs 3 times a day for 10 days now and this just started acting up. Do I need a different antibiotic? I'm pretty frightened about this. Having no money to take care of your teeth is no fun. I am already in a top denture. I have hypothyroidism and before treated for it all my teeth started decaying and breaking off. UGH.
I have to find an oral surgeon to take these things out asap. Are you sure I'm not going to die from this?!

I'm sorry you are having the problems you mentioned above.

What I'm specifically perhaps NOT yet conveying properly, is that Dental extraction of root tips and most other Dental procedures, in themselves, do not tend to cause infections. I'm not suggesting you do not already have infection, merely that the sooner you can get the needed work done the infection can & should leave more expeditiously. But the Dental extraction of root tips - will not further cause complication and further infection.

I have a slight fever as well. Something must be infected? Can I come live with you in your basement until all of this is completed so I can't stop freaking out?! How hard is it to get those things out of there?
you promise me this isn't going to kill me?! I must sound like a lunatic :)

The question of your teeth having infection around them is not in question. And, I'm sorry it is so cumbersome and bothersome to you. I understand.

On the other hand, to get the roots/problems extracted should be the very BEST thing you can do to get back quickly on the road to feeling better again!

Extraction of root tips? Not hard at all. If your Dentist isn't right out of Dental School or anything, they should come out relatively quick. And NO, not going to kill anything, except possibly the infection. You'll be fine...

I'm sorry if I sound like a nut. Since the hypothyroid diagnosis and all the teeth just breaking off from being undiagnosed with it for so long, everything is scary now. So what you're saying is the swelling in my face is normal for infection in the area of the root tips (remember, these teeth had root canals that broke to pieces), the infection isn't going to spread and I don't need a different antibiotic prior to getting them taken out which I am now going to do asap since I have funds available to do it now. I'm just frightened when I see swelling and feel pain in the area and up into my ear. I know this is probably a big nothing to you, but anxiety for me is off the charts so I can easily turn it into a catastrophe. Aspirin or the like for the slight fever and get to oral surgeon asap is the advice, correct? Then I will leave you alone!
Are you in Northern Va by any chance? If so, can I come to you?!

Well I'd NOT suggest aspirin. Perhaps alternating between Ibuprofen and tylenol though instead.

Another antibiotic would not be imperative, but would be fine, contingent on what the realities are of "will" your Dentist prescribe another Zithromax, or other antibiotics for you. The Big DEAL in my mind is to get the most likely cause of the problem (roots) extracted. I personally, think your Dentist should be able to do them, but if you prefer an Oral Surgeon, he or she would obviously also be able to expeditiously get them removed.

And then; day by day the swelling/infection and everything bad which you are now experiencing should subside!!!

________________________

I'm in Utah. Sorry. But many countless Dentists are in Norther Virginia! ( - :

You have eased my anxiety by MOUNTAINS. I really appreciate your time and your help. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow but I plan on trying to get into dentist/oral surgeon by Weds/Thurs. With your advice I think that would be okay. Thank you so very much, I can now calm down a bit. This is so frightening when you don't have answers. You are a gem and I wish you were in Northern Va. I would come to see you. Thank you so much Dr. Rampton. You have seriously been a Godsend to me. You have no idea! Thank you again and have a wonderful night!

You are very welcome!

Can I say this in closing. I've been doing this for over 30 years. Many countless number of worried sick patients. NONE have ever had any real problem, and things have always worked out! Just have your Dentist explain things - tell he or she you need such to be calm.

YOU WILL DO FINE!!!

Dr. Rampton

Thank you SO very much! Please move to Northern Va!!

You are crackin' me up now!

Best Wishes to you!

Seriously! Some of the dentists I've been to in the past have been less than patient with me. I can't do epi so that tends to slow them down and they get frustrated with me. I do the best I can in the chair to be a good patient! Thank you again, you have no idea how much you've calmed me! Goodnight :)

Oh, please do rate my answer, OK?

You bet I will! Where's the 10 start excellent rating? :)

For all future Dental needs, try to keep "in the know" on the PATIENT type of Dentists, not in a hurry and who explain...

You'll likely be happiest with them!

I will tell them my dentist in Utah told me to look for dentists like that. :) Thanks again, you are wonderful!

And to you for your kindness. Good night...!

Just Dental Truths!