Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I'm having constant headaches with a root canal procedure

I'm having constant headaches with...
I'm having constant headaches with a root canal procedure done 4 days ago..
JA: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?
Customer: I talked to her this morning, she told me to take pain reliever and amoxillin
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I had root canal done this Monday. Headache pains appear since tuesday till now.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: I'm normal with no medical history. A little high blood pressure and that's all
8/11/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble at this time.

Can you please tell me if the root canal was completed in one visit? ( By your general dentist or an Endodontist?)

Do you have any swelling or fever?

Does the tooth hurt when biting or chewing?

Is it an upper tooth?

Thanks.

one time visit. She put in a temporary tooth. There is no swelling or hurting on the tooth when I eat or drink. It is an upper front tooth. I had a mild fever yesterday with headache that is constant and I'm having the headache now.

Hi, thanks for the information.

In the absence of any symptoms with the tooth just had treated I sincerely ***** ***** the headache is caused by the root canal.

Are you prone to sinus headaches or to anxiety caused headaches because in order for the root canal tooth to be the cause it would need to have some symptoms and without symptoms the headache has to be from some other issue.

Fever is not common following a root canal in the absence of swelling so the fever could be from some other issue that may be coincidental to your dental work. Unless something else develops I suggest for now you continue with the antibiotics and do the following for the headache: you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. In addition to pain relief from the headache this combination is also an anti inflammatory which should help regardless of the cause. If the headaches continue and the tooth remains asymptomatic I suggest you call your physician for an evaluation.

Does all this make sense to you?

Thank you Dr. I'm healthy 53 years old male with very slight high blood pressure and no medical history. I've done root canal in the pasts but they were uneventful. This time the headaches is consistent and persistent for the 4th straight days after the root canal procedure. May I ask why you are asking if it's the upper tooth and the reason for it? The root canal was done on tooth #10.

The reason I asked is because if it was an upper tooth and it was near the sinus then there is a remote possibility that the root canal irritated the sinus floor resulting in your headache. However, #10 is nowhere near the sinus and therefore would not irritate the sinus at all. The sinus floor begins just distal (towards the back) of the canines or #11.

Persistent headaches are not normally associated with the teeth without having any teeth bother you at the same time.

You mentioned you have "a little high blood pressure" which if it increased can cause headaches.

I really think you need to call your physician and get an evaluation because what you have going on is not normal post root canal!!

Root Canal Doctor
Thank you Dr. I'll do as you said.

You are very welcome.

After your visit please let me know what the diagnosis was.

You can use this same thread and it will not cost any more to do it.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor