Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a tooth infection

Customer Question

I have a tooth infection
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need a antibiotic to get rid of it
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

You are correct about needing an antibiotic but the antibiotic will not cure a tooth infection. Once you stop the antibiotic the infection will return. If your tooth is infected,there are two options. Root canal therapy or extraction. I can give you the antibiotics of choice but we are not allowed to prescribe on this site.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. How would I get an antibiotic? I will get it taken out after the infection is gone.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

The infection will never be gone until the tooth is treated or removed. If you have no major swelling, the tooth can be extracted at any time. You can either have your dentist call in the prescription at a pharmacy for you or you can go to an urgent care center to get the antibiotic prescription. The urgent care center will be more expensive. Most dentists and oral surgeons have a 24 hour emergency line that you can call.