Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

My 83 year old mother has had two teeth break off recently.

Customer Question

My 83 year old mother has had two teeth break off recently. This is an ongoing process. I am an RN. She is very bad at describing symptomology. I notice today her neck under the chin is reddened. No temp elevation, but that's not unusual for her even with an infection. We probably won't be able to see the dentist for another day or do. Should I go ahead and start her on some PCN I have? She has hx of endocarditis.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Lara Coseo replied 2 months ago.

Good evening! I think starting her on antibiotics would be a good idea because she would need prophylactic premed anyway for any treatment due to her history of endocarditis. If she is already on the antibiotics, it will allow you to get treatment done sooner rather than later. Is she in any pain? Is there any swelling in or outside of the mouth in addition to the red color?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara