Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

A cap fell off of my tooth. I am going to the dentist on…

Customer Question
A cap fell off...

A cap fell off of my tooth. I am going to the dentist on Monday, but the tooth is tearing up my tongue.Very painful. What can I do?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

There is a little bit of swelling where the cap was.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

The crown came off of my tooth. the tooth is now scraping my tongue and making my tongue very painful.I am going to the dentist on Monday,but wondered if there is anything I can do for it between now and Monday to help

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
8/6/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, if you still have the cap you can go to any drugstore and get some temporary cement and replace the crown.

These are some that are available OTC at any drugstore: CVS Temporary Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair and DenTek Temparin Max - Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair are excellent products.
DENTEMP is very strong and Recapit No Mix Cement, Maximum Strength, 1 g. also by Dentemp are excellent products.

If you do not have the cap you can actually just use the cement to cover the tooth which will also helps reduce any tongue related rubbing.

Hope all this helps!! If you need more information please let me know. Thanks.

Do you need more help with this?

Did you have this taken care of on Monday?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor