Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have severe pain around my right temple, cheek bone, and…

Customer Question
I have severe pain...

I have severe pain around my right temple, cheek bone, and just in front of my ear as well as some of my teeth. What is causing this?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Goes in waves sometimes from spot to spot

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I know I need dental work

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
8/5/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The symptoms that you are describing are the symptoms of Temporomandibular joint dysfunction,sometimes referred to as TMJ dysfunction. Some of the prime causes of this syndrome are having missing teeth that have not been replaced,grinding or clenching your teeth,abnormal bite or trauma. Do any of these factors fit your description?

missing tooth.

Missing teeth allow the other teeth to drift which changes the way the teeth come together.This affects the joint capsule directly in front of your ear by allowing the ligaments of the joint to stretch abnormally. If you grind your teeth or have other broken down teeth,this will affect the joint also by allowing more abnormal stretching of the ligament. You can correct this temporarily with a bite adjustment that only takes a few seconds.Wearing a night guard can also help. The best thing to take for the pain is ibuprofen 600 mg every 4 to 6 hours. It is a good anti-inflammatory and soothes the ligament.

Did Ibuprofen but pain is way to strong. Is there something else that can be prescribed and can you do it.

I am sorry. We are not allowed to prescribe anything online. You might try alternating the ibuprofen with 1000 mg of Tylenol every four hours for a better over the counter relief. Warm moist compresses and sticking to some softer foods may help also. I would need to see your X-rays to give you a more accurate answer about how to correct the problem.Most dentists have 24 hour emergency lines that can be called so they can call in a prescription for you.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)