Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Will a dentist remove my childs fissure sealants. Is it safe…

Will a dentist remove my...
Will a dentist remove my childs fissure sealants. Is it safe and what is the procedure? They were recommended, however I have become aware they can actually do more harm than good.
8/5/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello! I can answer any of your questions about dental sealants. I should probably warn you that I am a big fan of sealants and think they are wonderful, and I have them on all of my back teeth.

The procedure to place them is very simple and non-invasive. The biting surface of the tooth is prepared to remove plaque and bacteria with an etchant solution. This cleans the surface and opens the pores of the tooth so that the sealant can adhere to the surface. The etchant is rinsed off, and the sealant is applied, typically with a small brush. Once it is in place, depending on the type of material, it is usually light-cured, causing the runny sealant material to harden. There is no drilling or injection or anesthetic involved in placing a sealant.

There would probably be some drilling to remove a sealant, and the dentist would not be able to guarantee that he is only removing sealant material, as it would likely also remove a small amount of enamel.

Does that answer your question about the procedure?

In the U.S. dental sealants are considered very safe and very effective at preventing tooth decay on the biting surfaces of teeth. There are some sealants that contain bis-phenol A, which is a compound found in plastics, and if you prefer a BPA-free sealant, you can request it from your dentist. I know the brand we use in our dental practice is BPA-free - Ultraseal by a company called Ultradent.

Does that answer your question about safety?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Drilling a sealant to remove it, does not sound like a safe option if my daughters enamel may be removed too. I am very concerned and was not aware there was any risks to fissure sealants. I have since learned that bacteria can get under the sealant and decay can't be detected. I would rather just practice excellent oral hygiene, which we do. How often have you seen sealants go wrong?

It is very rare to see decay develop underneath a sealant. And even with perfect oral hygiene, there are some grooves that are just too deep and too narrow for toothbrush bristles to clean, so you are definitely better off with sealants than without them. If you and your daughter are practicing excellent oral hygiene, you have nothing to worry about. I have seen decay develop underneath a sealant maybe a handful of times (less than 10) in over 13 years of private practice. In more cases, the sealant can debond from the tooth (chewing ice is the most common culprit) and leave the grooves open to bacteria again. In my office, we replace the sealants at no charge if they ever come off, if a patient is coming in for routine cleanings and evaluations.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Thank you, ***** ***** has gave me some reassurance. Should I insist on regular dental x-rays for these teeth?

I think yearly x-rays is a good idea. If there is decay under sealant, the dentist should be able to tell by a visual exam because it will have a shadowy or greyish undertone. The x-rays will show larger decay (which should not happen). Ask not only the dentist, but the dental hygienist who does the cleanings. They also see a lot of sealants and know what they are supposed to look like.

Any other questions for me?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Thank you for responding so efficiently.