Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My husband has swelling to his cheek from a bad tooth are…

Customer Question
My husband has swelling...

My husband has swelling to his cheek from a bad tooth are you able to prescribe antibiotics with out seeing him. He has pain and discomfort.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

Gums are swollen.years ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

He has a broken rotten tooth and now has a swollen face.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dental
8/5/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 11 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry we are not allowed to prescribe from this site.

What he needs to do now is start with warm salt water rinses: he can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of his face.

For pain he can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

As far as an antibiotic you can call your dentist or physician and they can call one in for over the phone without a visit. Penicillin or Clindamycin are the antibiotics of choice for this problem. If you cannot reach anyone any urgent care center can give an Rx for him.

Does all this make sense to you?

Do you need more help with this?