Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

If I just noticed my 10 year olds severely bad tooth and…

If I just noticed...

If I just noticed my 10 year olds severely bad tooth and made him an appointment right away would it be considered neglect?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

No swelling and he's had no pain. He had a small filling that had fell out that I didn't notice now it's got bad.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good afternoon! That actually happens all the time. It's not common for parents to look inside their kids' mouths every day or even monthly, especially when they're old enough to be brushing on their own. Do you know if it's a baby tooth? Or an adult tooth? You can upload a picture if you'd like.

Dr. Lara

I'm not sure. Part of it is broken now. Its the upper right second molar. I've never seen a tooth look that bad.

If you can get a photo, I'll tell you if it's a baby tooth or permanent tooth. But no, you would not be considered negligent. Especially if he's never complained about pain.....

Dr. Lara

He's with his dad right now. I was just concerned after looking on the internet that I'd be reported for neglect. I think it's a permanent tooth

So that is possible in certain cases, but typically that's when the kid is in pain and the parent refuses to take them to the dentist. Being unaware of a problem is not the same thing as being negligent. Especially if you make an appointment with a dentist as soon as you notice that there is a problem. All you can do is tell the truth. I hope that helps....

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Thank you

No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Here is a picture of his tooth

Yes, that is a permanent tooth. It definitely needs treatment ASAP. When is the appointment?

Dr. Lara

Today at 2:30

Okay, great. It looks like the decay in the tooth probably extends into the nerve, so be prepared for them to tell you he needs a root canal. Since he is missing so many other teeth, it is very important that you do whatever treatment is required to keep this tooth.

Any other questions for me?

Dr. Lara

Is this something that is going to be reported as neglect?

I can't say what would or wouldn't be reported. But as long as you are seeking the treatment as soon as you know about the problem, you're doing your job in my opinion. If you chose to do nothing now that you know there is a problem, that would be neglect.

Dr. Lara

Thank you

You're welcome. I'm happy to help. I hope your appointment today goes well.

Dr. Lara

Me too
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)