Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a bad tooth and am getting it pulled today! The tooth…

Customer Question
I have a bad...

I have a bad tooth and am getting it pulled today! The tooth is located in the lower jaw left side. I ran a fever of 101.1 on Tuesday night and had a toothache, went to the dentist

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No. I thought I was getting a sinus infection. The dentist put me on an antibiotic yesterday day, the toothache is better but my jaw is very sore to touch today.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I have RA and am on different medications for that but I listed them all when I filled out papers yesterday. I was just wondering if I could have infection in my jaw bone and if it would cause a problem we'd he pulls my tooth.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dental
8/3/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 6 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Normally tooth infections do not cause fevers.We extract teeth daily that have infections in the bone, That is why we take then out. If you are taking an antibiotic,the infection is being dealt with. Once the tooth comes out ,the source of infection will be gone and you will get better.

Unless you have any major swelling that is causing a cellulitis,there is no problem removing the tooth.

Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 6 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

Very good question!

I just saw your question, so I'm presuming you've perhaps already had the tooth extracted now?

If you had a fever, you can assume your body is responding to infection, whether related to tooth or not. But, infections seldom occur due to a tooth being extracted fortunately.

How are you feeling? Can I assist you with any further concerns?

Dr. Rampton

Thanks for your concern Dr Rampton but I believe you may not have realized that this question was already answered.Try to be a little more courteous.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)