Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Are there some people who have 5 or more root canals in

their mouth? What is the...
Are there some people who have 5 or more root canals in their mouth? What is the average number of a root canals for someone to have?
8/2/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Yes. There is no average number for the general population.There would be too many variables in that type of study to yield any useful information.In poor areas where people have abscessed teeth and cannot afford root canal therapy,those teeth are extracted.

Understood. How come some people with good oral hygiene have many root canals?
How many root canals have you, and your 3 best friends had?

I have no root canals.I have three friends with no root canals and have three friends with multiple root canals.You are forgetting the genetic factor. Some people are just more prone to decay.You can still have good oral hygiene and have need for root canals depending on your history.

Ok. Thank you. I guess I have that genetic thing. I need root canals and that makes me sad. Can you please tell me around how many root canals do you friends who have needed multiple ones have? And is it bad to have a mouth full of root canal teeth?

I have a lawyer friend with two root canals.You may be obsessing a bit with the root canal thing. Needing root canal therapy does not make you a bad person.Root canals save teeth. Once you are an adult,the hollow chamber inside of the tooth that holds the blood vessels and nerve is not even necessary.Just because it is filled with a sealing material does not make the tooth any less useful or change the character of the individual needing a root canal.Root canals save teeth. That to me is a good thing not a bad thing.

Ok thank you. I'm 26 and will need 3. Honestly all my friends haven't even had one. Sometimes I just let the dull and heavy feeling in that tooth go on and on. But it's hard to concentrate on work and stuff

Trying to evaluate your success in life by the number of root canals that you have is like being dissatisfied that you are 5ft 8 inches instead of 6ft 2 inches. Study some genetics and understand that the human body is formed by random combinations of genes that control or predispose you to certain things. Some people are predisposed to having a gliosarcoma brain tumor that kill in 18 months. They couldn't prevent it from happening. Be thankful that you don't have those genes.If there was some neglect on your part for a period of years that you did not see a dentist,then you can take some responsibility for needing the root canal.In any case,it is not the end of the world.That is why we have endodontists and they need to eat too.

Ok thank you. How did you know I was 5'8??

Trying to evaluate your success in life by the number of root canals that you have is like being dissatisfied that you are 5ft 8 inches instead of 6ft 2 inches. Study some genetics and understand that the human body is formed by random combinations of genes that control or predispose you to certain things. Some people are predisposed to having a gliosarcoma brain tumor that kills in 18 months. They couldn't prevent it from happening. Be thankful that you don't have those genes.If there was some neglect on your part for a period of years that you did not see a dentist,then you can take some responsibility for needing the root canal.In any case,it is not the end of the world.That is why we have endodontists and they need to eat too.Your friends may have had some medical problems that you would not want to even think about. They just may have not shared those with you.We are humans,not machines and sh*t happens to us.

It was just a random thought. I have no idea how tall you are.

Haha I'm exactly 5'8!!

I must be a psychic!

Please leave a rating if you have no further questions. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Sure thing. Love ya bud
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)