Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Katz, My chin numbness has improved very slightly (now six…

Customer Question
Hi Dr Katz,My chin numbness...
Hi Dr Katz,My chin numbness has improved very slightly (now six weeks) it not so much as numb now as it has heightened sensations at certain times or with stimulation e.g. if I run my tongue a along the lower left lip or when I touch it i get extreme tingling. however the touch sensation has improved. The tingling sensation slow down for awhile but now has fired up again, mainly when I touch or stimulate. The heightened sensitivity in the lower left gum, is getting better. It comes and goes. Is this new sensation and time frame for recovery expected?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dental
8/2/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 11 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The damage from nerve trauma can last up to six months or more. You are still in the healing phase. Every day things should get a little better. The fact that sensation is returning indicate that the trauma was not major.

the fact the touch sensation is improving even tho the tingling is worse and the touch is more heightened is ok?

That all means that you are healing. The more tingling the more nerve fibers that have repaired themselves.