Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had piece of popcorn kernel stuck at the top of my mouth…

Customer Question
Hi! I had piece...

Hi! I had piece of popcorn kernel stuck at the top of my mouth where my gum and cheek meet under the right side if my nose. I eventually got it removed but woke up to redness, swelling, and pain in the area. My teeth were fine. It was just the gum/cheek. I started brushing and using mouth was every time I ate or drank anything to keep it clean. The next day it felt better, not great but I had swelling in my whole cheek on that side. I continued to brush and use mouth wash and put a cold compact on my cheek to try and reduce swelling. I also started taking Advil because I read it has anti-inflammatory elements. Today (day 3) the pain an swellingis gone from my mouth/ gums but my cheek is still swollen now moving from my lip and nose area to my jaw/ ear area. I feel fine. No pain. I am still continuing to ice and take Advil. Is this appropriate action?Should I be concerned at all?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No fever and no medical condition

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
8/1/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If you have that much swelling,there is something else going on.It sounds as if you have an infection and need to be placed on penicillin ASAP. With facial swelling like this,it would be a good idea to have this area xrayed to make sure there is no tooth involved. I am not sure how you got a kernel stuck in the gum or how it was removed. Popcorn husks are a common thing to get stuck under the gum near the neck of the tooth but you are saying that this kernel was high up in the vestibule. It would be hard to do something like that without there being an opening or puncture to begin with.

I am going to sign off for the night. I would not hesitate to get to a dental office and have the area xrayed. Facial swelling can lead to more serious consequences. I will check back in the morning to see if you have any further questions.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

If you have no further questions,please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)