Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have had a numb & tingling sensation come to the right

Customer Question

I have had a numb & tingling sensation come to the right side of my mouth,lip & tongue twice this week. Feels just like when I've gotten novacaine at the dentist office. Never had this before in my life. I am 68.It lasts for about 1/2 a minute then goes away.. Should I go in & get this checked?
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No swelling or tooth problems.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I do have that lichen planus (I'm not spelling that right) in my mouth for 3 years but never been bothered with this numbness. Don't think its related
Category: Dental
Expert:  Lara Coseo replied 2 months ago.

Good evening! You did spell lichen planus correctly! And I agree with you, I don't think it's related.

The symptoms you are describing mean that something has reversibly irritated the nerve that is inside your lower jaw. It can be a tooth infection that touches the nerve, a pinching of the nerve somewhere further back where it comes out of your skull, a variety of things. Are you have any other symptoms in your head and/or neck? Even if you think they may be unrelated . . .

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 months ago.
Hi, I have received your message that you want a Medical Doctor to answer your question. Thank you for your patience as I assist with finding a Medical Doctor for you.
Camille- Moderator
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a medical doctor

thanks for your question

you should see a doctor about this, but you can make a routine next available appointment.

it doesn't sound like your symptoms are related to your teeth since you have no tooth pains.

sometimes inflammation of your trigeminal nerve can cause these numbness symptoms.

sometimes inflammation of your TMJ joint from grinding your teeth could cause it

you may benefit from a brain MRI scan to look at your skull base and trigeminal nerve

let me know if you have questions.