Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Does a root canal and crown usually solve the problem for

most cracks on teeth? I...
Does a root canal and crown usually solve the problem for most cracks on teeth? I know there are different types of cracks - bit in general for what % of cracks will a root canal and crown suffice instead of extraction?
7/30/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, a very good question!

When cracks or fractures are visible or encountered when doing a root canal the location of the crack and whether the tooth is symptomatic is what determines whether the tooth is saveable. A tooth that is fractured/cracked and is symptomatic even after a root canal the chances of success are very low. No crown or glue will be able to stop a fracture or crack from expanding which is why when fractured teeth have been root canaled and are symptomatic they are removed when the patient can no longer tolerate the discomfort. If when doing a root canal a fracture or crack is found and it extends into the root the chances are almost zero of success. If the fracture or crack stops short of the root itself and the tooth is asymptomatic then a root canal and crown may work but chances are 50-50. Does all this make sense to you. After doing root canals for over 50 years as an Endodontist I have seen many many fractures and it all comes down to symptoms and comfort. Does all this make sense to you?

In all the root canals you have done for a crack - what % of cracks extend into the root?

No way to tell you because each tooth stands on its own issue and merit.

If every tooth I saw had a crack that extended into the root then I would say 100%

If every tooth I saw had crack only half the time then I would say 50%.

So you see there is no way to give you a percentage because it all depends on the patient pool I have seen as an Endodontist. It would be like asking an Oral Surgeon how many successful root canals he has treated when all he gets to see are the failures so he would say that the success rate is zero!!

See what I mean??

That's a retarded answer. You're tryna be a wise ass, but everyone reading this question is going to hate you for the way you answered this question. In fact, I am going to have a blogger to a write up on this.My question was for every 'cracked tooth' you have treated (ONLY cracked teeth) from your patient pool - what % of cracks extended into the root.My understanding from your dumb answer is that 100% of cracks you have treated have extended into the root which probably means your a shitty endodontist and all your root canals have failed. And that is probably why you are now an internet doctor. Rest in peace to your career and hairline

Thanks for your kind words!! :):)

Haha anytime. Im so sorry all the cracks you have treated have extended into the root

:)

sorry for my harsh words yesterday.
Hey I know you're always online, but i'd prefer if you didn't answer any questions that i post
Hey please don't answer my questions. PLEASE
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good morning! Your question is still open in the dental category. Did you have any further questions? I am a general dentist, not an endodontist. I did read through your conversation with the previous expert, who was an endodontist.

What other questions do you have?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)