Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I am having some patches on my tongue I'm concerned about

Customer Question

I am having some patches on my tongue I'm concerned about and need opinion on it please. Note I also do have a tooth that is broken not sure if it's rubbing against it and making these. Or if it's something else.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

This is just an example of a condition called "geographic tongue" or " wandering rash of the tongue" It is not pathological or harmful and requires no treatment.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thank you for that info. Does it go away ? Or what causes it to get worse ?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

It can get more red with spicy foods. There is nothing that really makes it go away. Some people have it and some people don't. It is nothing to worry about though.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

You will probably notice that the pattern will change frequently and sometimes seem to vanish only to reappear again. This condition is very common.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Please leave a rating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thank you for the advice on this. Glad to know it's not something serious or catching to others also. And ill be sure to leave a rating. Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

It is nothing to worry about.