Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Awarded, licensed dentist with over 13 years experience
99431558

Morning, I have a question and I'm a bit worried about it. I

Customer Question

Morning, I have a question and I'm a bit worried about it. I have Primary Sjogrens Disease, which has caused several systemic problems over the years. My white count has been low so my family doctor sent me to a Haematologist who did a battery of bloodwork a few weeks ago. She told me I'm in the early stages of lymphoma but it was way too soon for treatment. I've found a lump in my cheek, located in the fleshy part of the cheek about 1 cm infront of my jaw muscle. It's painless, and cannot be felt from the inside of my mouth. I'm afraid it's a lymph node. Like many others, I looked it up online, which only made me feel worse. I've been experiencing severe itching with no rash or reason for it, on my face, outer ears, underarms and occasionally chest and abdomen. I don't want to go back to the doctor for no reason but I have a bad feeling about this. Should I consult my Haematologist or ENT with it or wait and see if it improves?Could this be something serious? I have chronic paratid gland swelling on that side but this lump is not like the swelling I normally have, it's a small pea sized, firm nodule type lump. What is your opinion?
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No injuries, and I first noticed the lump last summer but forgot about it thinking it was nothing.But last night I felt it and was mulling over what the doctor had said to me. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until that point. She checked under my arms, neck and groin, but I never told her about the lump because I didn't think it was important
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: I have thyroid disease and am going to have an MRI on my liver to investigate a bile duct problem
Category: Dental
Expert:  Lara Coseo replied 2 months ago.

Good morning! I'm sorry to hear you are going through so many health problems right now! It does sound like the small lump on your cheek could be an enlarged lymph node. The other possibility is that it's a knot in the muscle (the mass ether muscle). Would it be possible for you to take a photo with your finger pointing to where you feel the lump? That would give me a better idea of its location. Since you do have concerns with lymphoma, it is certainly worth telling your doctor. I don't think it's a major concern, but since you're already under their care, it's worth being overly cautious.

The itching is probably either some type of contact dermatitis (although this would typically be accompanied by redness that is visible), or some type of nerve problem like a neuropathy or shingles. Is the itching restricted to one side of your body only?
Sincerely,
Dr.. Lara