Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

In 2014 one of my crowns became loose. I went to a dentist…

In 2014 one of...

In 2014 one of my crowns became loose. I went to a dentist that only does crowns and he said that he thought I had a chronic infection and to see a more specialized dr. Due to financial difficulties I had to wait. 6 months later I fell off a ladder and knock that crown and the crown next to it out. I was new to the area so i chose a new dentist and he put two new crowns etc in. He said that He didn't see a chronic infection. 2yrs and 11mo later BOTH crowns became loose again. He told me that I had extreme bone lose and that I needed two implants. I have a feeling that he covered up and existing problem. In between this time, I had a crown replaced. They bought a new machine that makes the crowns at the office. My insurance denied the claim. They said it was too short. I had to pay the entire bill. I just received my insurance bill for the exam regarding the two crowns that need implants. They did a radiographs complete series and panoramic film. Insurance denied it. They said it was done 3 yrs ago. Any advice you can give would be appreciated

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?

Yes, please read above

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

7/27/2017
Just Dental Truths!

Chronologically to follow you, this is how I see things:

When the new Dentist did the two new crowns, he or she would have had to have taken x-rays. The x-rays would show if there was bone loss. Surely there was. Because, as you said 2 years and 11 months later, the same Dentist said you have extreme bone loss. Bone loss doesn't go from good to extremely bad in less than 3 years!?!?

SO, I have a problem with those actions your Dentist did, and the extreme bone loss in less than 3 years - it just doesn't tend to happen that way.

Here is what I would suggest:

1) Call up, or ask your Dentist's staff to call the insurance and demand they pay up for the new crowns. If the insurance won't pay, and/or your Dentists's team won't re-ask (demand) that the insurance pay up, then make an appointment with him. The end of his day. It's quiet. Look him right in the eyes, and (not being rude at all) being firm though - tell him you feel you've not gotten the fair end of the stick! Tell him about your insurance problems. Tell him about your no bone loss to extreme bone loss in 2 years and 11 months. Ask him: "WILL YOU PLEASE WORK WITH ME ON THIS" financially speaking?

If he says he will and does - superb!

If, on the other hand, he adamantly will not, I'd only then, tell him that you may have to file a complaint with your home (State, example, Colorado, Maine, etc.) STATE DENTAL BOARD (Essentially the cops watching Dentists) against him, in particular because of the bone loss going from crowning them less than 3 years ago, and then supposedly having them have extreme bone loss in less than 3 years!

Bot***** *****ne: I think he'll want to work with you! As opposed to essentially some Dental cops...

And hopefully the Dental Insurance will also kick in, especially with the help from the Dentist's receptionist team calling the Insurance company and making some demands, as they DO have some leverage to change some Insurance mind heads. I hope this makes sense.

Dr. Rampton

If you have follow up concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to ask - OK?

Dr. Rampton

*When I've addressed your concern, please do rate my answer. Thanks!

Just Dental Truths!
Makes sense for sure. However, he has lost my complete trust and I think I should go for another opinion with someone new. By the way, when I made an appt regarding the two loose crowns, He made me a 2017 -2018 projection for $24,000 worth of dental work! He said it would cost me a new car. I have old fillings that I am sure will need work in the future, not the near future. And one more thing, when he replaced the two crowns he slipped and nicked my bottom crown! Said he didn't do it!! He so desperately wants me to get an implant for that one. I guess I'm a bit traumatized by this doctor. But I have excellent insurance now even covers implants. Thank you sooooo very much for your help! :)

Perhaps you may want to do something like this:

Don't plan on returning to him for Dental care, as you don't trust him. That's plausible.

However, there is still the little to no known bone loss (he crowned them) 2 years and 11 months back and then all of the sudden they had EXTREME bone loss. Something is "fishy", as that kind of bone loss doesn't occur that rapidly! So, your call here, but you may want to still let him know (Preferably face to face, being kind, yet firm), that you'd like to know what he is willing to do for reimbursement/s? I hope this helps you

Dr. Rampton

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist