Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a crown put on tooth #18 It felt to bulky the dentist…

I had a crown put...
I had a crown put on tooth #18 It felt to bulky the dentist did try to fix it. I sought another opinion.
I told this new dentist it felt like the crown went too far back on my gum at least that is what it felt like to me, but I am only a lay person. He had me bite together & checked with a probe said he would bring the new crown forward a little. He then cut off the crown . The tooth underneath originally had a big silver filling but was in good shape according to the 1st dentist.. This new dentist damaged some of the filling getting it off said there was some decay so he said had to fill it & re-prep for a new crown.I have a temp on, but behind the tooth he brought forward my gum is sore & my tongue is bothering me because I think he brought it too far forward is not covering where my original tooth should be. The lab is making it to his mold. If this is the case, and it is indeed too short, can the dentist add some bonding, resin or something to the tooth ground down tooth to put some length back in? Ever heard of this & what can be done?
7/22/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Karen,

It sounds as if you have gone from bad to worse with this issue.

If the new tooth does not fit properly or is overextended it should be remade because adding anything to it will not work and will only lead to more problems down the road. So if it is not right please do insist it be remade so that you are comfortable with the fit and position and contour. Do not accept any repairs needed if necessary and be sure the crown is new with no additions!

Having a temp on right now tends to cause gum problems and this is temporary because the temps do not fit properly and it causes gum issues which is why you must be sure that when the new crown is placed that it feels the way you expected it to feel and that the crown feels comfortable around your gums.

Your tongue will automatically play with any discrepancy around the tooth but should not do so when the new crown is fitted properly.

Does all this make sense to you?

What I really need to know, I know that nothing can be added to the crown but before he fits it can he add to the tooth underneath some bonding or something to add back to original tooth shape even if crown has to be remade to accomadate the fitting. Yes, I went from bad to worse. Even if it is a little too short in back would that cause the tongue to actually hurt?

The tongue will hurt if it is scraping against the edge of the temporary or if it keeps digging into the gum near the temporary.

If the height or shape is not correct and needs to be changed then yes he can add anything under the crown to change the height and shape of the new crown because, as you are aware, the base determines the crown shape and contour.

Should it make such a difference if the prepared tooth was not quite as long as it should have been into the back of the gum. Terrible pain with my tongue. I eating, talking normally & not doing anything different.
The height I think will be ok but length will not. So you are saying he can add to the crown and not the tooth underneath before final cement .Think thw whole impression will have to be redone

It really does not make a lot of difference unless you are unable to clean it properly or the if the crown is not fit properly.

When a preparation is made near the gums the depth has to be either just below the gum line or well above the gum line, called self cleansing, and both are acceptable. The pain with your tongue is unusual unless you are constantly playing with the temp which is why I am not too concerned at the moment because that is a common complaint and is taken care of when the permanent crown is placed because it fits properly whereas temps do not normally fit perfectly.

I read your answer again..I understand what you said, he CAN add to the tooth. What kind of material would he use?

The final cement should not be done if the height is not proper!

And yes if he ads to the tooth you will need a new impression but it should be at no extra cost to you.

He can add bonding, cement, acrylic, etc. Almost anything he uses for buildups !!

The temp crown is actually smooth & a good fit just to short behind gum line where my original tooth fit. He just took off too much in back. Have you ever heard of moving it forward on the back molar?

No I have not heard of moving it forward unless he is talking about extending the upper portion of the crown to enlarge the biting surface or close a gap between teeth.

This is a real mess. Looking back I think the first dentist had it right. Should have given it more time.

Yes I agree with you!! :):)

Which is why I said earlier "gone from bad to worse".

But do not worry at the end of all this you will be fine because it is all correctable!!

Would be ok if my tongue wasn't hurting so much. There is no roughness just not fitting at all like my God given tooth was. I have many crowns on other teeth..no problems at all. Since I have no wisdom teeth left he shortened it too much behind. I will make sure to tell him when I go back for my permanent crown. He is supposed to be a good dentist should know to sculpt it correctly...no matter what I thought I was feeling.
Thank you I hope so. Are you going to be available for me again tomorrow?
Not sure how I would get you again.

It is your mouth and you need to be completely satisfied with the fit, contour and appearance!

Do not accept anything less!!

You can just use this same thread at no additional cost to you.

It was a pleasure writing with you.

You can still rate our interaction and return to this thread!!

Have a great evening!

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor