Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Ive had a decaying wisdom tooth for about a year with no…

Ive had a decaying wisdom...
Ive had a decaying wisdom tooth for about a year with no problems or discomfort. At this point more than half the tooth is gone. On Thursday it felt like there was a hole in the gum and I got a sharp pain mult times in the day when my check hit it just right. Friday same, a few times of sharp discomfort. Yesterday I didnt get any sharp pains but by the night it turned into a dull constant pain. Over the night it kept me up to the ponit now it is throbbing with severe 24/7 pain. I have a dentist appt tmrw at 3pm. I am worried about infection. I dont know if I should go to the hospital now and get it looked at and startba possible antibiotic or I am overreacting and can wait until tmrw....
7/16/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, if you do not have any swelling or a fever then you do not need to rush anywhere for help. If pain is your only problem now then I suggest you take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. If you can reach your dentist they can call in an Rx for an antibiotic to cover any possible infections but it is not necessary at this point. After you are evaluated tomorrow and if the X-ray shows an infection is present you will be given an antibiotic. Penicillin or Clindamycin are the antibiotics of choice for dental issues. Does all this make sense to you?

that makes sense. I have taken my temp 2xs now and both were normal. I tried orjel around the area bc the pain is radiating through my gums towards my front teeth and up into my temple very strongly...is that normal? I did not feel any swelling though when applying the tx. Does it sound like nerve exposure? Ive never had anuthing worse than a mild cavity in my life and ive always been told borrow stories of sepsis and infection travelling quickly...
The dentist is closed today as well so I wouldn't
be able to get an rx sent in today either
The amount of pain I'm in it is just scaring me

Yes referred pain is normal and is quite common.

You do not have to worry about an infection spreading which is a misconception furthered by mis information on the web, etc.

If you were swollen with a temp then you need to be concerned but live nerves hurt like hell when either exposed or have cavities in them. The pain can be exquisite! If you were swollen you would know it what any question in your mind.

So just take the meds and hopefully tomorrow you will find out what is going on after your examination.

If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks.

Okay, that was very helpful. I appreciate it. If things seem to get worse or I need any more help ill be sure to contact you. Thank you

Please do. I am am Endodontist and very familiar with nerve pain! LOL

Please feel free to return to this thread if you have more concerns because there is no additional cost to do so.

When you get a chance please rate our interaction so I get credit for responding.

Thanks and have a great day!! :):)

This is unbelievable I never want to feel this again. Thank you!!

I am with you about that as well.

As an Endo we see emergency patients who are literally dying from the pain and one quick visit alleviates it all!!

Do you need more help with this?

I think i am okay for now. Ive been sleeping and that seemed to help a lot my pain is gone down a little. Thank you

You are very welcome! Glad to hear you are doing better. :):)

Do i have the possibility of forming dry socket since it feels like there is a hole going into my gums

You cannot develop a dry socket with an unextracted tooth so there is no need to worry!!

Ok, that is good to know. Thank you again.

You are welcome, again!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor